Connect with us

Everton

“Money isn’t enough for Everton” – Three things learnt from Everton 0-3 Tottenham

Published

on

Tottenham

Ahead of this clash on Saturday afternoon, many thought that Everton could pose a serious threat to an out of form Tottenham side. Instead, Mauricio Pochettino‘s men highlighted all of the Toffees’ weaknesses and produced their best at Goodison Park.

Harry Kane scored twice, either side of a Christian Eriksen strike, as the Lilywhites eased to victory over their opponents, making light work of Everton who struggled to pose any threat as the game wore on.

Here are three things that The Boot Room learnt from the game…

Harry Kane loves September

Kane again went through August without finding the net, and then sprung into action on 1st September for England. At Goodison Park, he again rediscovered his form in the Premier League, scoring his first two league goals of the season and sending Spurs on their way to victory.

In the opening weeks of the campaign, Mauricio Pochettino’s side had lacked the clinical finishing that Kane usually brings to the table. Against Burnley, they needed the centre forward to have his shooting boots on, but on Saturday he made up for his misfiring efforts two weeks previously.

Money isn’t enough for Everton

Everton may have invested heavily this summer, but things are still yet to come together for Ronald Koeman. With goalkeeper Jordan Pickford having registered the highest number of passes so far this season, there is something fundamentally wrong with the set-up of Koeman’s side.

Gylfi Sigurdsson and Davy Klaassen are intended to bring creativity but the Toffees remain without any real threat going forwards and are lacking at the back. Phil Jagielka and Ashley Williams lack pace in defence whilst many new signings are still adjusting to the new system.

Romelu Lukaku has not been replaced

Much of the investment this summer came from the sale of top goalscorer Romelu Lukaku to Manchester United. Everton brought in Spaniard Sandro Ramirez for a bargain £5 million and Wayne Rooney in an undisclosed fee, but they remain without a talisman up-front.

With Sigurdsson creating opportunities, there was nobody there to get on the end of them. Everton’s finishing, when there was someone on the end of the service from midfield, was left wanting and highlighted how poorly they did not to bring in a striker to replace Lukaku.

Sam is a football journalist focusing on English football at all levels and Spanish football. He also writes for Spain's biggest daily sports newspaper, MARCA, as well as The Boot Room. Find Sam on Twitter at @samleveridge.

Everton

Everton round-up: Silva targets, Lopez wanted and Shaw says no

All the latest news and gossip from Everton.

Mathew Nash

Published

on

Silva’s targets

Marco Silva has identified his transfer targets for the summer with director of football Marcel Brands. He has told the Liverpool Echo that the club are now pursuing the names put forward.

The Portuguese says Everton ‘have’ to make the signings they have targeted.

Everton are also set to begin their cull of the first-team squad. Several players are set to be moved on as Silva and Brands reshape the squad.

(Photo credit should read JOSEP LAGO/AFP/Getty Images)

Lopez wanted

Everton are reportedly interested in the signing of David Lopez from Espanyol. Mundo Deportivo claim that Everton, Valencia and Real Betis are all said to be keen on the player.

However, Everton are not willing to meet the €40 million (£35.4 million) release clause for the player. Instead, they hope to wait and see if it comes down to around €30 million (£26.5 million).

The Spanish defender, who can also play in midfield, was previously linked with Everton back in January.

Shaw not sure

Manchester United defender Luke Shaw has rejected a move to Everton, according to The Times. They claim he had a chance to resurrect his career at Goodison Park but decided he wants to remain at Old Trafford and fight for his place at the club.

He has struggled to regain his place in Jose Mourinho’s side since suffering an awful leg break.

Everton are looking for a new left-back, with Leighton Baines approaching the end of his career and no first-team back-up.

Continue Reading

Everton

After five-goal salvo can Everton count on Kevin Mirallas this season?

Kevin Mirallas scored five goals as Everton won 22-0 in Marco Silva’s first game.

Mathew Nash

Published

on

Marco Silva certainly enjoyed his first game as manager of Everton. The Portuguese watched his new side secure a 22-0 win against fourth-division Austrian opposition in rampant fashion. He also saw a player who looked on his way out of the club net five goals. Kevin Mirallas led the scoring charts in the game and his future is clearly a talking point at Goodison Park.

The Belgian spent the second half of last season on loan at former club Olympiakos. But it did not go well. He was eventually told to no longer attend training as the club’s owner decided to move him and many others on amid the Greek side’s struggles.

Things did not end well at Everton before the loan move either. Mirallas’ last game was the 4-1 loss to Southampton in November, one of the low points of Everton’s season.

Mirallas however, as Everton fans know, is an exceptional talent. He was only handed a new contract until 2020 last summer, so he has value to Everton.

(xxxx during the Premier League match between Brighton and Hove Albion and Everton at Amex Stadium on October 15, 2017 in Brighton, England.

On his day he is an exceptional winger or secondary striker. His finishing exemplary, his passing and crossing brilliant, Mirallas is a player Everton could use.

With others in his position, such as Ademola Lookman and Kieran Dowell, young and promising, having the experienced Mirallas around could make sense.

Scoring five goals in yesterday’s friendly won’t have any bearing on such a decision, given the opposition. But it is a reminder that Mirallas is still around and capable of providing something to this Everton team.

Continue Reading

Everton

Everton want Jamaal Lascelles again, four years after being fined for approach

Everton were fined £45k for an approach for Lascelles in 2010.

Mathew Nash

Published

on

Everton are currently being linked with a move for Newcastle United captain Jamaal Lascelles. At the start of June, Everton were first linked with a £30 million move for the player. The Northern Echo reported last week  that Everton were ready to step up their interest in the player, in the wake of West Ham’s apparent interest.

It would, of course, be a fantastic signing. Everton need a new central defender with Barcelona’s World Cup star Yerry Mina also linked.

But Lascelles has been one of the Premier League’s most underrated defenders and it would be a brilliant swoop.

Newcastle, however, are adamant the player is not for sale. Everton should, therefore, be careful because when it comes to Lascelles, they have previous.

(Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images)

Back in January 2014, Everton were fined £45,000, as reported by the BBC. The fine was due to an unauthorised approach for a player. The player in question was Lascelles.

The fine related to a matter from four years earlier. Everton had seemingly made an approach for Lascelles, then on a scholarship deal at Forest, without going through the proper channels.

Lascelles’ agent at the time was also fined and the player himself was ‘severely warned as to his future conduct.’

So Everton’s interest in Lascelles dates back eight years to the David Moyes era.

Hopefully, for Everton fans at least, they can secure a deal for the player on this occasion.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 The Boot Room.