Mohamed Salah will be 'fine' after Senegal penalty miss, says Agbonlahor
Liverpool talisman Mohamed Salah has been backed to bounce back from his latest penalty shootout heartache.
The 29-year-old, who had numerous green lasers shone in his face by the crowd, missed Egypt’s opening spot-kick in the World Cup play-off defeat to Senegal.
To add to Salah’s misery, it was his club teammate Sadio Mane who netted the decisive penalty and booked his nation’s place at the Qatar World Cup.
Mane also netted the winning penalty when the two sides met in last month’s African Cup of Nations final.
Mohamed Salah backed to bounce back
With Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool chasing an unprecedented quadruple, the German will be hoping that the Egyptian doesn’t suffer a hangover from his World Cup disappointment.
TalkSPORT pundit and former Aston Villa striker Gabriel Agbonlahor has backed Liverpool’s number 11 to dust himself off in the same manner he did following the AFCON setback.
Agbonlahor said: “Salah will be okay. He lost the AFCON final and that didn’t affect his Liverpool form.
“But he’ll be upset losing again to his teammate! That’s two penalty shootouts.”
But with 28 goals and 10 assists to his name this season, Liverpool will be hoping Salah’s international frustration can be used to help fire his club side to big trophies.
Following the conclusion of the March international break, the business end of the season is now in full flow and with ample big games on the horizon, Salah has the perfect distraction to help shrug off last night’s devastating blow.
Every player wants to play in the World Cup and Salah would have loved to have qualified for a second time.
But that dream will have to wait until 2026 and his focus will have likely already switched to putting Watford to the sword on Saturday.