‘Massive’: TalkSPORT pundit says £22m Tottenham man should be grateful for what Antonio Conte has done this season
Son has been a key player for Spurs ever since making the £22 million switch from Bayer Leverkusen back in 2015 (The Guardian).
The 30-year-old finished as the joint-Premier League top goalscorer in the last campaign alongside Mohamed Salah.
But Son has struggled to make the same impact so far this season as he has failed to score in his first eight appearances.
Conte has stuck by the winger though and Bent thinks this should give Son a ‘massive’ confidence boost.
Son should be grateful for what Conte has done
He said: “Well to Son, he’s obviously got credit in the bank. Last season, won the golden boot, the last parts of last season he was fantastic.
“Getting the goals obviously propelled Spurs into the top four at the expense of Arsenal. But this season, it’s not just his goals, I don’t think his all-round play has been up to the standards of what he can usually do.
“But I think for Son, it’s a massive confidence boost that you’ve got a manager, because it doesn’t happen in today’s game, usually a player goes a couple or three or four games without a goal, they’re out the team.
“The fact he’s gone eight games, I think it might actually be nine games without a goal. And the manager is still persists on picking him, starting him in games, should tell Son the confidence Antonio Conte has in him and the belief he has in him.”
Despite Conte’s faith in Son, Bent feels the South Korean will have to improve quickly or the Spurs boss could be forced to drop him.
“But it will come to a point and I think that point is coming up very quickly, where the manager needs to make a decision,” he added.
“Because I think it was unfair that [Dejan] Kulusevski got left out because I’m a big fan of his. Richarlison has earned his time in the team with some of the performances he’s put in of late and Harry Kane speaks for himself.”
Spurs host struggling Leicester City on Saturday after a disappointing defeat against Sporting Lisbon this week.
It will be interesting to see if Conte continues to back Son after another underwhelming display on Tuesday night.
Both Richarlison and Kulusevski have impressed and are staking their claim for a place in Conte’s starting line-up.
You may also like…
- Antonio Conte says Bryan Gil could play for Tottenham on Tuesday
- Jenas shares his biggest problem with Harry Kane after Tottenham defeat
- ‘I’m not stupid’: Conte fires back at Tottenham fans, calls out two players for not being ready as well
- ‘We saw’: Frank Lampard makes claim about Emerson’s sending off in NLD after Everton’s match this weekend