Manchester United: New deal for key man; Rashford to start; Schweinsteiger update
After an impressive start has seen Zlatan Ibrahimovic score in all but one of his appearance’s in a United shirt to date, and with four Premier League goals to his name already this season, and the Daily Star claim that the club are set to offer him a contract extension. His current deal runs until the summer, with an option for a further 12 months, but the Red Devils are considering an offer to take him up until the summer of 2019, when he will be 37-years-old.
For the club it shows a clear commitment to the Swede, who has already proved doubters wrong with some superb and match winning displays in the opening rounds of the Premier League season. However, he is likely to command a huge wage, and it remains to be seen how long he can maintain his unstoppable form, with very few players able to replicate such form at the age of 37, meaning the club would be running the risk of having a very expensive squad player. That said, they will be keen to hold Ibrahimovic down to a new deal to persuade him to stay at Old Trafford with MLS and Chinese clubs likely to come circling.
One man who may not be best pleased by the news is Marcus Rashford, but the Guardian report that Jose Mourinho has confirmed that the young forward will start against Feyenoord in the Europa League on Thursday, giving him a substantial vote of confidence. Rashford is yet to start a game this season amid criticism of Jose Mourinho’s handling of youth players in the past which has suddenly put the 19-year-old’s future into jeopardy.
Rashford has shone in his substitute appearances so far this season, none more so than with his last gasp winner at the KC Stadium against Hull City, but will be desperate for more minutes and starts. With the likes of Zlatan, Anthony Martial and Wayne Rooney for competition, it has proved difficult to work his way into the side, and to date, Jose Mourinho has seemed reluctant to put his trust in him fully.
Details are also emerging of how German midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has left club bosses seething by rejecting a free transfer to Sporting Lisbon in the summer, and also being reluctant to enter talks with French side Olympique Marseille, who the Daily Star claim were interested in his services.
The World Cup winner is said to be hoping to run down his contract at Old Trafford and take the substantial wages whilst training with the reserves, rather than move on and take a pay cut to a club which doesn’t really appeal to him. Having stated that his future lies outside of Europe, an MLS or Chinese club may make a move for him in January, but his future currently seems no closer to being resolved than ever as Mourinho continues to try to force him out of the club.
Featured Image: All rights reserved by indolivescore ils.
You may also like…
- Fulham want to sign £52m midfielder this summer, he’s a big fan of Andreas Pereira
- Erik ten Hag confident Manchester United can beat Arsenal to major signing
- David Ornstein says £70m midfielder is leaning towards Manchester United over Arsenal and Liverpool
- Tottenham and Manchester United now linked with under-20s World Cup star