Manchester United: Mourinho targets Ireland captain; Lukaku bid likely; new deal for midfielder
Jose Mourinho has fielded Antonio Valencia at right back to date this season, but the Portuguese manager is on the hunt for a new man with Matteo Darmian heading for the exit, and Seamus Coleman could be that man according to the Sunday People. It’s believed that Everton may even consider a bid for a fee of £16 million for their 27-year-old defender in January, but will only sell if they have to.
This comes three years after David Moyes attempted to bring his former player to Old Trafford with him but failed as the Merseyside club refused to sell. Mourinho may face a similar fight if he is to secure the services of the Ireland captain who scored the winning goal against Georgia earlier in the week.
In form forward Romelu Lukaku is also being monitored by the Red Devils according to the Liverpool Echo. Mourinho is believed to be on the lookout for a long term replacement for Zlatan Ibrahimovic and is a big fan of Lukaku’s strength and physical style which has drawn comparisons to his former forward Didier Drogba.
Chelsea were said to be trying to secure his signature in the summer, but Everton refuted all of their attempts to see the Belgian return to his former club. Now, they may face tough competition from United, though with a wealth of strikers already at the club it seems unlikely that a deal will be achieved any time soon.
One deal which is close to being finalised is a new four year contract for playmaker Juan Mata, according to the Mirror. The Spaniard’s future was put in doubt after he fell out with Mourinho during their time together at Chelsea, but the relationship now seems to have been repaired and Mata has played regularly under the former Real Madrid manager since his arrival in the summer.
With two goals and an assist from nine games to date, Mata has become one of the side’s key men and most reliable players thanks to an impressive start to prove his critics wrong, and his future now looks set to be extended from his current deal which is set to expire next summer.
Featured Image: All rights reserved by mario2061.
You may also like…
- Report: Tottenham keen on signing £51m Alessandro Bastoni in 2023 but Manchester United in the mix too
- ‘You are the best’: Manchester United’s Antony hails 28-year-old Liverpool ace
- Romano: Spurs wanted to sign ‘extraordinary’ £34m man this summer but he nearly wound up at Old Trafford
- Fabrizio Romano says Ten Hag was offered ‘incredible’ £51m player Tottenham tried to sign before deadline day