Manchester City round-up: Second bid for Evans lined-up; Mangala pushing for Inter exit; midfielder urges improvement
According to sources close to ESPN, Manchester City are in the process of preparing a second bid to try and prize West Bromwich Albion defender Jonny Evans away from the Hawthorns.
This comes just a week after an initial bid of £18 million was rejected for the Northern Ireland international, with The Sun claiming West Brom wouldn’t sell for anything less than £35 million.
But sources close to the club now understand that the Blues are becoming increasingly confident about the prospect of securing a deal, with the 29-year-old centre-back set on a move away himself.
Reports from ESPN last Wednesday had claimed that boss Pep Guardiola is an admirer of Evans, contemplating a move for him to try and bolster his central defensive options for the new season.
In other news, want-away Manchester City defender Eliaquim Mangala is set to hold talks with representatives at the Etihad as he looks to force a move to Inter Milan before the window closes.
Sky Italia believe that Inter boss Luciano Spalletti has made the 26-year-old Frenchman his main priority as he looks to strengthen his defensive line, and the Serie A side have recently made another enquiry.
But talks between the two clubs seem to have stalled as the new Premier League season begins, with Guardiola potentially waiting on adding another centre-back before agreeing to let him leave for good.
Mangala was an unused substitute during City’s 1-1 draw with Everton on Monday evening, and Guardiola has made it clear that he’s surplus to requirements – opening the door for Inter Milan.
Away from transfer news, Manchester City midfielder Raheem Sterling has insisted that his side need to improve a lot if they are to compete for the title after Monday’s ‘disappointing’ stalemate.
The 22-year-old scored a late equaliser for the hosts as ten-man City fought back from Wayne Rooney’s strike and the dismissal of Kyle Walker to salvage a point in their opening home match of the year.
And speaking to Manchester City TV, he admitted there’s work to be done: “I’m really disappointed.
“I had a chance before that earlier on and I’ve got to hit the target. Luckily I got a second chance and put it away but it’s those vital moments that are going to count. If I get that again we win the game.
“We’ve just got to be a bit more clinical.”
Manchester City now have four days before they take the trip down to the south coast for their Saturday afternoon kick-off against Bournemouth, looking to return to winning ways at the Vitality.
You may also like…
- ‘I love to hear’: Ian Wright says he’s so happy with what 18-year-old prospect has said after leaving Manchester City
- Report: Pep Guardiola understood to be a fan of Anthony Gordon
- Report: Manchester City could consider late move for Kieran Tierney
- Report: Manchester City now want to sign 24-year-old, just weeks after Newcastle made £21m bid for him