Manchester City round-up: Mbappe stance confirmed; £50m Porto midfielder linked; Evans offer denied

After a summer of staying in contention and being regularly linked, Manchester City have today confirmed they are officially out of the running to sign Monaco teenage sensation Kylian Mbappe.

The Manchester Evening News had revealed a few months ago that boss Pep Guardiola was preparing to continue his chase of the 18-year-old after an incredible breakthrough year in France.

However, the club’s director of football, Txiki Begiristain, has confirmed over the course of the past day that the Blues won’t take their chase of the striker any further.

Speaking about the Mbappe situation, the MEN reports he said: “We are out of the race. It is impossible to do it with the timing remaining.”

Had he joined this summer, the young Frenchman would have become City’s third signing from Monaco in a matter of months following the arrivals of both Bernardo Silva and Benjamin Mendy.

One Player Per Nation Euro 2020 Squad & Starting XI

Meanwhile, eports surfacing from Portugal over the course of Friday morning claim that Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola could finish his summer spree with a move for Porto midfielder Danilo.

The 25-year-old is being closely monitored by both City and French giants Paris Saint-Germain, according to A Bolawith the Blues outlining a plan to secure his signature for the 2017/18 season.

However, the fact that Danilo only penned a new contract at Porto in January means that the club’s owners are unwilling to open any negotiations on his €55 million (£50.6 million) release clause.

The Portuguese international has been an indispensable member of the Porto side since arriving from Maritimo in 2015, making over 60 appearances, and he helped Portugal win the 2016 Euros.

In other news, West Brom manager Tony Pulis has denied claims that Manchester City have persisted with their interest in defender Jonny Evans after seeing an initial offer of £18 million rejected.

After their initial approach was turned down, sources close to American news outlet ESPN had claimed that City boss Pep Guardiola was preparing a second bid closer to West Brom’s £35 million valuation.

But, speaking in a pre-match press conference Pulis has denied they have received a further offer, with the Birmingham Mail reporting that he said:

“At present there’s been no contact for the last couple of days. Jonny is a West Bromwich Albion player and we’re hoping we can get the situation resolved and move on.”

Guardiola had been looking to add some cover to the centre of his defence after already heavily investing at full-back, but it seems time might be against him as the transfer deadline looms closer.

Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know

You may also like…