Manchester City round-up: Evans address transfer rumours; Aguero assault claim withdrawn; Guardiola on Bournemouth
Manchester City target Jonny Evans has remained coy on the recent speculation linking him with a move to the Etihad, saying he is committed to being at West Brom ‘until anybody tells me different’.
The 29-year-old has been targeted by Pep Guardiola as defensive cover for the new season, with West Brom already rejecting an £18 million offer, but The Sun claim an agreement is edging closer.
But speaking in West Brom’s pre-match programme for the trip of Stoke, the Manchester Evening News reports that the defender said:
“Obviously, there’s been a bit of speculation around my future here but from my point of view, it’s very simple. All I’ve been concentrating on is getting fit and getting back out on the pitch and doing my bit for the team.
“Every window there’s speculation over transfers but as players these things are often out of your control and it’s best not to think about it too much. Until anybody tells me different, I’m only committed to Albion. It’s a great club and I’m proud to be captain.”
The fresh reports from The Sun believe that an offer of £30 million – plus sending want-away defender Eliaquim Mangala on-loan in the other direction – could tempt Tony Pulis into selling.
In other news, Bournemouth have confirmed that an allegation made by one of the stewards working at Saturday’s clash with Manchester City has been withdrawn after a ‘misunderstanding’.
It had been alleged that a steward had been assaulted by striker Sergio Aguero in the aftermath of Raheem Sterling’s last-gasp winner, with the City team celebrating the goal by running to the crowd.
The statement on the club’s official website detailed: “AFC Bournemouth are aware of an alleged incident which occurred following Manchester City’s second goal at Vitality Stadium on Saturday.
“The club have been advised that due to a misunderstanding, an earlier statement alleging assault has been withdrawn and no assault took place. AFC Bournemouth recognises that stewards and police were carrying out their duties in preventing encroachment onto the pitch, with the safety of players and supporters in mind.
“The club will make no further comment on the matter.”
And lastly, Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has criticised refereeing decisions for the second time in a week after Raheem Sterling was shown a second yellow for the manner of his celebration.
The England winger popped up in the seventh minute of added time to secure all three points for the Blues but, upon celebrating with the City fans, referee Mike Dean brandished a second booking.
Speaking to the press about the incident, the MEN relays that the City boss said:
“Maybe someone can explain why. I would like to know because Rash [Raheem Sterling] against Liverpool will not be able to play and we missed Kyle Walker for a fault that doesn’t exist.
“You cannot celebrate with the fans? You tell me there is a reason why. So maybe we play without fans.”
Despite the dismissal of Sterling, Manchester City bounced back well from going behind to Charlie Daniels’ wonder-strike, with Gabriel Jesus getting his first goal of the season before the late winner.
You may also like…
- Manchester City fans discuss reports they are competing with Tottenham, Newcastle for Real Madrid superstar
- Report: Champions League star has offers from Tottenham and Newcastle – but there’s a problem
- Report: Manchester City in talks with their 24-year-old
- Arteta is in love with Premier League player and ‘convinced he is perfect’ for Arsenal, Romano says