Manchester City round-up: Arsenal may consider Sanchez bid; Gibson offer; Guardiola reacts to Everton draw

According to fresh reports coming from the Mirror on Tuesday morning, Manchester City could be forced to make an opening bid of £70 million if they want to steal Alexis Sanchez away from Arsenal.

Sources close to the news outlet believe that it is the Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger himself who is putting his foot down and not letting the Chilean leave, with the club owners supporting his choice.

It is understood that opening talks have already taken place between the two Premier League sides, about the possibility of a switch, but Wenger remains insistent he doesn’t want to sell to a near rival.

However, with Sanchez entering the final year of his contract, and with the possibility of him leaving on a free next summer, a ridiculous opening offer could persuade the Gunners to cash in and let him go.

In other news, Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has allegedly turned his attentions towards promising young Middlesbrough defender Ben Gibson as he looks to bolster his defensive options.

England vs Croatia Match Day Vlog

The Blues had been linked with West Brom defender Jonny Evans last week, as per The Sun, but reports in the Daily Mail this morning believe that they will instead focus his efforts on highly-rated Gibson.

It is thought that the 23-year-old will be subject to a £20 million bid in the upcoming days, a move that would potentially complete Guardiola’s summer spending, with Middlesbrough prepared to consider an offer.

Despite having already rejected two bids in a similar region from West Brom this summer it is understood that the Championship side would prefer to sell to a top-four team.

Although he was part of a Middlesbrough side that were relegated back to the second division at the first attempt last year, Gibson was a stand-out man, and it is little surprise he is in line for an England role.

Away from today’s transfer speculation, Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has been left angered after Kyle Walker was dismissed for two bookable offences during last night’s 1-1 draw against Everton.

Ex-Manchester United man Wayne Rooney opened the scoring before, after two yellow cards in successive minutes, new £50 million man Walker was controversially dismissed for an alleged elbow.

Substitute Raheem Sterling did rescue a late point for ten-man City but after the match Guardiola wasn’t impressed by the refereeing on show at the Etihad.

Asked about the red card decision, he said: “You cannot ask. Next question. I am not going to talk about referees. It was so clear – so I don’t want to talk about the referees.”

In his brief post-match interview, the Manchester Evening News reports, he also said: “We did everything to win – 10 v 11 against a top-quality team. I prefer to win the game. We wanted to start good at home. I have no regrets.”

Manchester City now have four days before they take the trip down to the south coast for their Saturday afternoon kick-off against Bournemouth, looking to return to winning ways at the Vitality.

Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know

You may also like…