Liverpool round-up: £75m bid for Lemar; Keita reveals delight at confirmed move; Sakho bid rejected
Liverpool could be set to smash their existing transfer record by splashing out £75 million on a bid for Monaco winger Thomas Lemar, say the Liverpool Echo. The move could also see striker Divock Origi involved in some way with the Ligue Un champions keen on the Belgian, who has played just nine minutes so far this season.
It’s not yet clear if that amount will be enough to persuade the Principality club to part ways with the 21-year-old winger, but Liverpool would hope that such a sizeable fee would be enough to convince Monaco to consider a sale. With only days left until Thursday’s 11pm transfer deadline, the club will be hoping to negotiate a quick deal.
That would break the transfer record currently held by a player who is not even yet at the club in Naby Keita. The club this morning confirmed the signing of the Guinean from Red Bull Leipzig as he will join the club next summer. Keita reacted to the deal by telling the club website:
“I am delighted that an agreement has been reached which will allow me to join Liverpool Football Club next summer, when I will become part of a project that excites me greatly. My commitment to RBL remains absolute for the remainder of my time at the club. I have given my all every time I have worn the shirt – that will be the case until the final whistle, in my final appearance. Having my future resolved means I can now focus on helping RBL achieve great things this season. Until I join my new club, next summer, I will remain an interested supporter from a distance.”
The 22-year-old has been hugely impressive in the Bundesliga and will now hope to continue that form into his final season at Leipzig. Next summer, he will join the Reds on 1st July and be a key part of Jurgen Klopp’s squad for the 2018/19 season as they continue to look for improvements.
One player who is unlikely to be around then is Mamadou Sakho, but the Liverpool Echo believe that the club have rejected an offer from Crystal Palace for the French central defender. Sakho spent the second half of the 2016/17 season on loan at Selhurst Park and Frank de Boer is clearly keen to bring him back to south London.
However, their offer of £22 million up-front and £3 million in add-ons does not meet Liverpool’s £30 million asking price and they are refusing to lower that valuation, even as the final 48 hours of the summer transfer window near. Now, the Eagles may return with a higher offer if they are to sign Sakho.
You may also like…
- ‘Very good stuff’: Kostas Tsimikas says he’s been really impressed by Liverpool’s £6.5m player in training
- ‘He is always there’: Kostas Tsimikas says Liverpool have a ‘world class’ player who he spends so much time with
- ‘Liverpool fans keep telling me’: BBC pundit slams Reds ace who’s ‘turned jogging into an art form’
- ‘The biggest surprise’: Ally McCoist shares what has really shocked him about Liverpool’s displays this season