Liverpool defeated Bayern Munich 3-1 at the Allianz Arena on Wednesday night to advance through to the Champions League quarter-finals (BBC Sport).
The Reds became the fourth and final Premier League team to make it to the last eight of the competition, with a brace from Sadio Mane and a Virgil van Dijk header sealing the deal for the visitors.
Jurgen Klopp’s team were as good as Bayern were disappointing.
A number of people expected them to struggle after the 0-0 result from the first leg, but Liverpool were defensively solid which was the perfect basis for them to go on and win the game.
Henry tweets about van Dijk
Yet again, van Dijk was outstanding for Liverpool at the back.
The Dutchman was typically dominant alongside Joe Matip, who was excellent himself on the night despite his own goal.
The £75 million signing from Southampton gave Robert Lewandowski nothing all night, as was the case at Anfield.
It was just the latest of a string of brilliant performances from van Dijk, who was the subject of a tweet from none other than Liverpool owner John W. Henry after the game.
The man who funded his transfer posted an image on Twitter with the words (written by user @andrewpassaro): “75% of the earth is covered by water, the other 25% is covered by van Dijk.”
Needless to say, a lot of Liverpool supporters enjoyed the quip:
This is what happens when you spend money John
— B (@SturridgeStrike) 13 March 2019
Thanks for splashing the cash John 👍🏼👍🏼
— LFC Scout Watch (@Mobyhaque1) 14 March 2019
Proof if any was needed that you get what you pay for. Thank you John #YNWA
— Rob Gormley (Rob G) (@radiorobg) 13 March 2019
Maybe your best investment ever? Lol
— CJ Ward (@CeeJaayy5) 13 March 2019
— Watch LFC (@Watch_LFC) 13 March 2019
Is right john lad best 75 million you’ll ever spend
— Niall Monaghan (@NiallMLFC) 13 March 2019
— Boom.Time.Red (@red9uk) 13 March 2019
Best 75m you’ve ever spent
— Damon Cotterill. (@Damo77LFC) 13 March 2019
Thanks John lad for returning our club to where it should be
— Ali Osman (@aliosman9) 13 March 2019
You’re a legend for buying him. Now get De Ligt and we’ll be unstoppable
— ~☆~ (@LfcCordae) 13 March 2019
Thanks for buying him John👍🏽
— Ollie (@lfcollie9) 14 March 2019
Best signing you have ever authorized.
— Jordan. (@JordanAnfield) 13 March 2019
Just get his Dutch friend in now John
— Jack Macklin (@JackMacklin1892) 14 March 2019
Ha!! I love this comment. Brilliant!! 👍🏼👍🏼⚽️⚽️
— Susan Pattie (@Rastawombman) 14 March 2019