Liverpool bid £55.5m for Monaco's Thomas Lemar - would the Frenchman be a good signing?
After stunning Arsenal with a 4-0 victory on Sunday, Liverpool are further embarrassing the London club by offering a huge sum for Thomas Lemar.
The Reds have launched a £55.5 million bid for the Monaco winger, an offer considerably higher than the Gunner’s £30 million attempt earlier in the window.
Sky Sports understand that the approach has not been assessed by Monaco, as of yet, but the French outfit must now consider whether selling would be the right option to take.
What would Thomas Lemar bring to Liverpool?
The Frenchman’s importance to his current club is undoubted, and it is likely that upon moving to Liverpool would earn a similar stature at Anfield.
Having played four full Ligue 1 games so far this season, Lemar is already proving to be the creative spark of the side. He has made 13 chances for his teammates and has two assists to his name.
Clearly then, the France International would bring a huge amount of imagination to Merseyside, something Liverpool may currently be missing without Philippe Coutinho. The Reds’ current most creative player is Roberto Firmino, who has made five chances this season – a small figure compared to Lemar’s 13.
Lemar would also bring goals to Jurgen Klopp’s side. The Monaco playmaker found the back of the net nine times last season, outscored only by Coutinho, Firmino and Sadio Mane – the Senegalese man was the Reds’ top scorer, with 13 goals to his name.
The productive Frenchman would improve Liverpool’s attacking options, as he has shown with his lightening start to the new campaign. Capable of both scoring and creating goals, would provide much-needed depth, with the Anfield club looking to compete on four fronts this season.
Is a move likely?
As Sky Sports report, Monaco have already turned down a £30 million bid from Arsenal. However, Liverpool have offered almost double this figure. Such a large amount of money may tempt the French club into selling their star.
However, Monaco have stated that no more players are leaving this summer, according to Sky Sports. Having seen a number of their title-winning squad exit, the Champions will be keen to keep Lemar.
Therefore, it is hard to see a £55 million bid convincing them to break their stance. With only a few days left in the window, it would be incredibly hard to purchase an adequate replacement, meaning the Reds may have to wait until next summer to confirm a deal.
You may also like…
- Report: Liverpool player tells Klopp he wants to leave, Gary Neville said he wasn’t good enough
- Report: Sunderland in talks to sign Liverpool 22-year-old
- Report: West Ham could be about to bid for £35m Liverpool star, he’s on Moyes’ radar
- Jose Enrique says Liverpool should look at Chelsea star, linked with Arsenal move