Leeds's most lethal finishers ranked: Luke Ayling third; Stuart Dallas last
One of the criticisms regularly levelled at Leeds United is that they do not turn their dominance into goals often enough.
The Whites are top of the Championship and have won their last five games. Nevertheless, some of their players have come in for criticism for not being ruthless enough in front of goal.
But is that criticism fair? Well, here is a look at the 12 players who have scored a league goal for Leeds this season ranked in reverse order of their shots per goal ratio…
12. Stuart Dallas – 20 shots per goal (via Whoscored.com)
The Northern Irishman has scored three goals from 60 attempts. And yet, he is unquestionably a contender for Player of the Season.
11. Liam Cooper – 19 shots per goal
Liam Cooper has scored one goal this term. But it was a crucial one at Brentford that many will suggest was a real turning point in Leeds’s season.
10. Helder Costa – 18.33 shots per goal
Helder Costa will be disappointed with his numbers. And in truth, many fans may not be too surprised. But he has scored three. And he clearly has the potential to make a devastating impact for the Whites.
9. Mateusz Klich – 16.25 shots per goal
If Leeds played Middlesbrough every week, Mateusz Klich may be top of the charts. He has three goals against Boro this term, including the winner last month.
8. Kalvin Phillips – 13 shots per goal
Kalvin Phillips’s one goal this season came against Birmingham City as Leeds celebrated their centenary.
7. Jack Harrison – 12.4 shots per goal
Jack Harrison has been a revelation this season. He has scored five and has been unlucky to not have two more after hitting the woodwork with long-range efforts in the last two games.
6. Gjanni Alioski – 12.25 shots per goal
Perhaps surprisingly, Gjanni Alioski ranks quite high on this list. He has scored four times, but has not started since early February.
5. Pablo Hernandez – 10.67 shots per goal
Leeds have won five of the six games in which Pablo Hernandez has scored. The other game saw Nottingham Forest bundle home a late equaliser.
4. Patrick Bamford – 9.46 shots per goal
Patrick Bamford has scored 13 goals this season, more than double any of his teammates. Nevertheless, he has had to face criticism. It would be unfair to not take into consideration all of the boxes Bamford ticks with his performances when assessing his season however.
3. Luke Ayling – 6.25 shots per goal
Luke Ayling has probably flown up the table thanks to Leeds’s winning run. The right-back has scored three goals in the last five games from right-back, breaking the deadlock on each occasion and scoring the winner against his old club.
2. Eddie Nketiah – 5.23 shots per goal
Eddie Nketiah was recalled by Arsenal in January. But the fans will remain particularly grateful for his three goals should Leeds get over the line in the promotion race.
1. Tyler Roberts – 4.67 shots per goal
Tyler Roberts has been lethal in front of goal. The Wales international has scored three times from just 14 attempts. Leeds will be in a fantastic position if the forward continues that run during the last nine games of the season.
You may also like…
- David Moyes hails Leeds 25-year-old who’s been ‘really good’ this season, likens to West Ham player
- Report: Title-winners set sights on Leeds-linked 20-year-old, available for £7m
- Pundit says ‘incredibly athletic’ Leeds player doesn’t get enough credit
- Leeds fans are all saying the same thing as club reportedly make decision on £17m-rated Liverpool ace