Photo by Eric Verhoeven/Soccrates/Getty Images

Journalist claims Arsenal have made a 'very low offer' for player who's 'very important' to his team

Arsenal have endured a dismal Premier League campaign that promised so much and delivered so little.

The Gunners began the 2020-21 campaign as the reigning FA Cup champions and won the Community Shield too.

Arsenal also signed a number of top players, such as Thomas Partey and Gabriel Magalhaes.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang penned a new contract, Bukayo Saka shone, and Emile Smith Rowe broke into the first team.

Despite all this, Arsenal finished eighth in the table, failing to even make the inaugural UEFA Europa Conference League.

Celtic fans left short-changed by Sky Sports once again

Photo by Stuart MacFarlane/Arsenal FC via Getty Images

Mikel Arteta and Edu have lots to do in the next few weeks ahead of the transfer window opening.

And Arsenal are reportedly looking at new recruits in between the sticks.

The Gunners are apparently eyeing Ajax and Cameroon goalkeeper Andre Onana as Bernd Leno remains linked with a move away.

Football.london recently reported that Arsenal view the 25-year-old as Leno’s long-term replacement at the Emirates.

Speaking on the Transfer Window Podcast, Duncan Castles spoke about the Gunners’ reported interest in Onana.

“I’m not sure they’re in the best position, and I’m not sure Ajax will let him go for a cheap deal,” he said.

“But Arsenal have made what is described to me by a friend at Ajax as a ‘very low offer’ for Andre Onana.

“They’re trying to take advantage of that drug ban, which is due to run until February, but Onana is challenging that in court and is hoping that he will be cleared to play again next season.

“Either way, you can understand why Arsenal are trying to get him.”

Photo by Gerrit van Keulen/BSR Agency/Getty Images

“We can act accordingly”

Onana is currently banned from football for one year due to a doping violation handed to him at the end of February.

His ban is being appealed and his case was heard at the Court of Arbitration for Sport on Wednesday.

A decision on whether the ban will be reduced is expected to be made within the next week.

“We will start at 7.30 on Wednesday and I think we will be ready early in the afternoon,” Onana’s lawyer Dolf Segaar told NOS, via football.london.

“I certainly do not expect a decision that day. We do insist that a decision is made quickly, I hope within a week. If we know the new sanction, we can act accordingly.

“Of course you hope for an acquittal, but let’s be realistic: that will not happen. I really don’t know yet, you hope for a considerable number of months less.”

“Very important to us”

Photo by Matteo Ciambelli/DeFodi Images via Getty Images

Last year, Ajax boss Erik ten Hag spoke highly of Onana amid uncertainty over his future in Amsterdam.

Speaking to Dutch publication AD, via 90min, Ten Haag said: “Andre is very important to us and of course we don’t want to lose him.

“But it’s true that we have an agreement from last year about the development scenario and what steps we will take if the right club comes in at the right price.”

Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know

You may also like…