Jonjo Shelvey has transfer message for potential new Newcastle signings
A new era has arrived at Newcastle United, whose fans can finally dream of high-profile acquisitions and silverware once again.
The Magpies are under new ownership, with a Saudi-led consortium taking over from Mike Ashley last week.
Newcastle fans celebrated the news, optimistic that relegation battles and lacklustre football will soon be a thing of the past.
The consortium consists of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), financier Amanda Staveley and David and Simon Reuben.
Staveley said the new club owners have “the same ambitions as Manchester City and PSG” in terms of success on the pitch.
However, she made clear that things won’t change overnight, and turning Newcastle into a major force will take time.
“Do we want to win the Premier League within five to 10 years? Yes,” she said. “This takeover is hugely transformative.
“We want to see trophies. But trophies need investment, time, patience and team work.”
Jonjo Shelvey became the first senior Newcastle player to speak about the takeover, telling the Daily Mail about his hopes for the club.
The 29-year-old was keen to dispel the notion of Newcastle not being a lure for the very best players.
“That’s another thing,” Shelvey said. “People say it will be hard to attract top-level players to Newcastle because it’s not London or Manchester.
“But I’ve lived here for nearly six years, it’s a great place. There’s so much to do and it’s a brilliant place to bring up your children.
“I can’t speak highly enough of this city and the area.”
Shelvey played in Newcastle Under-23s’ 4-0 Premier League Cup win over Birmingham City on Monday.
It was his first appearance since August after recovering from a calf injury.
You may also like…
- Craig Hope: New name added to Newcastle shortlist, 57-year-old without a club
- Alexandre Lacazette shares what Mikel Arteta told him about Arsenal fans, after scoring equaliser on Monday
- ‘Needs to start’: Arsenal fans laud Alexandre Lacazette after Palace late show
- Klopp provides six-word update on Salah’s contract situation