How Twitter reacted to Vincent Janssen’s loan switch to Turkish side Fenerbahce
Things haven’t particularly worked out the way that Vincent Janssen would have wanted in the Premier League after making his £17 million switch from Dutch side AZ Alkmaar during last summer.
His impressive goal-scoring record in Holland – scoring 31 times in 49 appearances – left Tottenham fans with large expectations for the 23-year-old but he simply hasn’t managed to reach such heights.
And after rejecting moves to Brighton and West Brom on deadline day last week it seems that his Premier League misery is over for now with Turkish side Fenerbahce confirming a season-long loan.
A statement from Fenerbahce, via the Evening Standard, reads:
“Our club, in principle, has agreed with the player himself and his club on the loaning of Dutch national team striker Vincent Janssen from Premier League team Tottenham Hotspur.
“The 23-year-old striker will arrive at Istanbul Ataturk Airport at 12:30 today [Friday, September 8] and negotiations will continue in Istanbul.”
Janssen managed just two goals in 27 Premier League appearances last season, being awarded just seven starts, and Fernando Llorente’s arrival has only pushed the Dutchman further down the order after he was left out of Mauricio Pochettino’s squad for the Champions League that was announced this week.
And Fenerbahce took to Twitter to announce the switch…
— Fenerbahçe SK (@Fenerbahce) September 8, 2017
With the majority of supporters feeling sorry for the Dutchman…
Bit disappointed we've loaned out Janssen, young players coming to the Prem should at least get a second season to adjust
— george (@theprodigalscum) September 8, 2017
Disappointed to see Janssen leave on loan to Fenerbahce. I hope he tears up the Turkish league & returns as a more complete player for #COYS
— Dean Faccini (@DeanFaccini) September 8, 2017
Commending him for his attitude during a testing season…
The abuse Vincent Janssen is getting on my timeline is atrotious. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. He's a spurs player. Back him!
— Lewis Manners (@llewi01) September 4, 2017
Others weren’t as bothered at Janssen leaving…
— One Game at a Time (@onegameatatime4) September 8, 2017
Epic fail for Janssen. Career over at 23.
— In bloom (@Hitman_Hatton84) September 8, 2017
Janssen doing a runner back to the European Sunday leagues, as apposed to trying to prove himself in the PL. Ambition.
— Mark Nickols (@mark_nickols) September 8, 2017
And are instead content with Harry Kane and Fernando Llorente…
— lee smith (@leesmith81) September 8, 2017
Some Spurs fans don't think so but Llorente is a big upgrade on Janssen anyway
— Tim wells (@caysiesienna2) September 8, 2017
Whilst some took a second to note Fenerbahce’s new lethal – and ex-Spurs – strike duo…
I have just been reminded that Vincent Janssen and Roberto Soldado will now form the most feared strikeforce in Europe. Funny world.
— Alasdair Gold (@AlasdairGold) September 8, 2017
The feared Janssen and Soldado Axis of Uselessness begins…
— Jay (@ThruxtonJay) September 8, 2017
What do you think Tottenham fans? Should Janssen have gone? Let us know below.
You may also like…
- ‘Impressed me’: Tottenham Hotspur told they have a player who was just like Zlatan Ibrahimovic when he was younger
- ‘Out’: Antonio Conte says £25m Tottenham player is still injured and will be ‘out for a long time’
- Antonio Conte says Bryan Gil could play for Tottenham on Tuesday
- Jenas shares his biggest problem with Harry Kane after Tottenham defeat