Connect with us

Transfers

How Twitter reacted as West Brom completed the signing of RB Leipzig’s Oliver Burke

Published

on

Burke

West Brom completed one of the surprise transfers of the summer window so far as their official website announced the signing of promising Scottish midfielder Oliver Burke on a five-year contract.

The 20-year-old winger will join up with the Baggies for an undisclosed fee, becoming Tony Pulis’ fifth signing of the summer behind Gareth Barry, Jay Rodriguez, Ahmed Hegazi and Yuning Zhang.

And talking about Burke, the West Brom boss said: “We’re really pleased to get him in – the lad has got a tremendous talent. He’s got a fantastic, raw ability but he has now also got the experience of going away from the comfort of his own area to a foreign country and experiencing life.

“He’s gained the experience of playing for a top club in the Bundesliga with top coaches. That will have broadened his horizons and been good for his development.”

Burke was a product of the Nottingham Forest academy before securing a huge move to German outfit RB Leipzig last season, making 17 Bundesliga appearances and helping them to the Champions League.

The highly-rated Scotsman could be made available in time to feature against Stoke City on Sunday.

West Brom announced the news on Friday morning in comical fashion…

And the general consensus was that it’s an excellent bit of business…

With West Brom fans in particular thrilled by Tony Pulis’ attacking move…

Rivals clubs linked with Burke – Crystal Palace especially – were not happy though…

Yet, as always, not everybody is convinced by the 20-year-old…

https://twitter.com/WoodyWonderland/status/900996745768964096

Although one guy was already making huge comparisons with a Real Madrid star…

What do you think West Brom fans? Will Burke fit in nicely? Let us know below.

Will is a Multimedia Journalism graduate from the University of Salford, specialising in the art of sports. Long-time suffering Northampton Town fan who once saw us win a league title. Find him on Twitter - @96PearsonW.

English Premier League

Liverpool round up: Jurgen Klopp to step up Shaqiri interest, Reds priced out of Alisson deal

The latest news and gossip surrounding Liverpool

Jamie Watts

Published

on

Photo: Getty Images

Shaqiri move on hold

Liverpool will step up their pursuit of Stoke City maestro Xherdan Shaqiri when he returns from the World Cup with Switzerland, after receiving early encouragement in sorting a deal, according to reports from the Mirror.

Shaqiri is said to be keen on a move to Merseyside, and a deal is more than likely to materialise, with Liverpool unlikely to find discrepancies over the reported fee of £12 million for the recently relegated star.

The 26-year-old is not considered as an alternative to Nabil Fekir, after a deal for the Lyon forward collapsed last week (BBC Sport) and the club are considering revisiting negotiations once the player returns from international duties.

Photo: Getty Images

Allison off the table

Liverpool are unlikely to make an approach for Roma goalkeeper Alisson, having been put off by Brazilian international’s reported £80 million valuation, according to Sky Sports.

The Reds have been linked with Alisson consistently throughout the January window, and it was thought they would go big for his services this summer. However, it appears Roma are in no need to sell and will require big money to part ways with the 25-year-old.

Jurgen Klopp is said to be considering moving for Chelsea shot-stopper Thibaut Courtois – as he enters the final year of his deal – but the Blues would likely demand a big fee also, as Liverpool having backed themselves with their goalkeeper situation, following Lloris Karius’ nightmare final.

Photo: Getty Images

Origi eyes return

Divock Origi has suggested a return to Anfield is best for his development and is eyeing a place in the first-team squad after a successful pre-season, according to the Liverpool Echo.

The 23-year-old had been loaned to Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg, but has suffered a relatively meagre campaign, netting just seven goals in 36 appearances, as the team flirted with relegation from the German top-tier.

He will now return to Melwood next month, but whether Klopp has plans for him or not remains to be seen.

Continue Reading

English Premier League

Newcastle should forget Rondon and give Mitrovic another shot

Rafa Benitez is looking to secure a striker this summer, but should Newcastle put more faith in returning loanee?

Jamie Watts

Published

on

Newcastle United are reportedly in the market for new forwards this summer, with Rafa Benitez identifying the Magpies’ attacking output as a key weakness last term, despite their impressive 10th place finish.

The Spaniard is allegedly keen on Venezuela international Salomon Rondon and could offer him a route back into the Premier League, from the recently relegated West Brom, according to the Northern Echo.

However, the 28-year-old may not be the best option to spearhead the side at St James’ Park.

Rondon has failed to bag more than 10 goals in a domestic season since arriving from Zenit St Petersburg, while his 28 strikes in 120 games makes for pretty poor reading. It goes without saying stats are not everything, but Newcastle will need a reliable scorer to ensure safety, and perhaps he is not worth the risk.

Photo: Getty Images

Strangely, Benitez seems reluctant to recall former fan favourite Aleksandar Mitrovic despite his recent resurgence, and is pursuing other targets that employ a similar game to the Serbian.

On loan in the Championship last term Mitrovic regained his confidence and eye for goal, and he was pivotal in Fulham’s  push for promotion, netting an impressive 12 goals in 11 games for the Cottagers in a period he described as “the best four months of my career”.

The former Anderlecht man seems to have curbed his disciplinary issues and simplified his game up top, with his link-up play representing some of the finest in world football last term. And the time could be perfect for his return to Tyneside.

Photo: Getty Images

It is evident from rumours surrounding Rondon and Sporting Lisbon talisman Bas Dost (the Sun), that Benitez is actively seeking a physical linchpin to orchestrate play in the final third and Mitrovic could be his best option.

Newcastle are not famed for their spending in transfer markets and they have a ready-made solution returning to the club imminently. Benitez should reevaluate his current pursuits and give Mitrovic one last chance. On last season’s evidence, the results could be brilliant.

Continue Reading

English Premier League

Cenk Tosun could become an elite striker under Marco Silva next term

Everton’s star talisman could benefit massively from Marco Silva’s regime at Goodison Park.

Jamie Watts

Published

on

Everton‘s star striker Cenk Tosun recently vowed to reach new levels and is convinced he can be even better next season, after impressing in his debut campaign in a shackled Toffees side, in quotes via the official club website.

And the Turkish international will be thrilled by the appointment of Marco Silva, as he will likely be spearheading a far more progressive and attacking team next term.

The highly-rated forward netted an impressive five goals in only 12 starts for Sam Allardyce’s side, after joining from Turkish giants Besiktas in the winter window and helping Everton to reach a comfortable eighth-place finish in the process.

Photo: Getty Images

Known for his clinical edge in front of goal, the Turk did not disappoint, boasting an impressive 42 per cent accuracy rating for shots-on-target, bettering the likes of Tottenham‘s Harry Kane on 41 per cent.

However, his output was limited by Allardyce’s pragmatic style, with the striker often feeding on scraps in attacking areas, and he undoubtedly has higher levels to hit if Silva can accommodate the 27-year-old properly and surround him with like-minded attacking players.

The recent names circulating in the Everton rumour mill certainly suggest Tosun’s supply line will be richer after the summer, with the likes of Sporting Lisbon’s Gelson Martins and Bas Dost being touted as potential arrivals (A Bola).

Photo: Getty Images

The new Everton manager is sure to see Tosun as a vital member of his squad going forward, as the club aim to see results for their £27 million investment. While owner Farhad Moshiri’s ambitions of European football at Goodison Park dovetail with the Turkish international’s Champions League pedigree.

Considering the numbers Tosun managed under Allardyce, there is no telling how many goals he could bag under the tutelage of Silva in an attack-minded outfit. And many could be surprised at his impact next season.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 The Boot Room.