Hearts loan move another blow to Conor Shaughnessy's Leeds United future
It appears that Conor Shaughnessy could be on his way out of Leeds United in January. According to Edinburgh Live, the Irish defender has been in the Scottish capital over the weekend discussing a potential loan switch to Hearts.
It would be a fine move for the young Leeds lad, but would surely indicate the end of his Leeds career under Marcelo Bielsa.
Leeds are not exactly blessed for central defenders at the moment.
Injuries have left them short at the back in recent times but when push came to shove, Leeds looked more prepared to back the Finnish defender Aapo Halme over Shaughnessy.
“Shaughnessy, we trust him, we have confidence in him. He hasn’t done the pre-season work so he is behind the rest of the team, but we have solutions.”
– Marcelo Bielsa on Conor Shaughnessy in August
A player who impressed both Garry Monk and Thomas Christiansen, he was initially praised by Bielsa. But it is clear he does not currently see him in the Leeds first-team plans. Considering how they have been caught short at the back at times this season, that is something of a damning assessment.
Injuries have not helped him during his time at Leeds, with a nasty ankle problem keeping him sidelined most of this year.
Perhaps this loan deal is meant as a reset after that injury trouble. However, it certainly does not look good for the 22-year-old.
You may also like…
- Mikel Arteta delivers honest verdict on Javi Gracia’s job at Leeds United
- Arsenal vs Leeds United: Javi Gracia suggests Liam Cooper could start on Saturday
- Nation’s media rave about 24-year-old Leeds player’s latest display for his country
- Leeds United considering move to bring Kalvin Phillips back to Elland Road