Gerrard said 30-year-old was 'excellent' four years ago, now he reportedly wants to sign him for Villa
Aston Villa have made a few big moves under Steven Gerrard already and they are now looking to sign a top-quality striker in Arsenal star Alexandre Lacazette in the summer.
That’s according to Sporx, who claim that the Villans are keen to secure his services once he becomes a free agent in the summer.
Lacazette has been a regular for Arsenal since he joined them back in 2017. He has played 192 times for the Gunners and has directly been involved in 102 goals, which is not a bad record at all for a player of his profile.
The 30-year-old is almost guaranteed to leave the Emirates this summer and Villa are keen to sign him, probably because Gerrard is a big fan of the Frenchman.
- REPORT: ASTON VILLA CLOSELY WATCHING ‘OUTSTANDING’ PL STRIKER; HE’S REQUESTING £97.5K-A-WEEK DEAL AT NEXT CLUB
Gerrard is a big fan of Aston Villa target Alexandre Lacazette
Back in 2017 when Gerrard was a pundit for BT Sport, the legendary Englishman delivered his verdict on Lacazette, who had only just joined Arsenal from Lyon.
Gerrard said four years ago, as per The Mirror: “They’ve added Lacazette and he looks a real buy, for me.
“They spent a lot of money on him but I’ve watched him a bit this season and he’s started with a bang.
“His movement in the box is excellent and he only needs one chance to score a goal.”
- ‘DIRECT CONTACTS STARTED’: ROMANO SAYS CL CLUB ARE ‘SERIOUSLY INTERESTED’ IN ‘EXCEPTIONAL’ ASTON VILLA STAR
Lacazette is a fantastic player, there’s no denying that.
Some Arsenal fans have an issue with him due to his lack of goals recently, which is probably fair considering he’s their striker. However, he spends most of his time dropping deep and linking play up, which is why his numbers aren’t as great as they should be.
Villa targeting Lacazette makes sense. The Frenchman could drop deep and link play up there as well, which would then open up space for the likes of Leon Bailey, Emi Buendia and Philippe Coutinho, if they sign him, to run in behind and cause some serious damage.
It will be interesting to see if Villa will make an offer for Lacazette in the summer. A number of other clubs will also be interested in him, but Gerrard has already shown he can attract big names and it won’t be a surprise to see him convince the Frenchman to join his pals Emi Martinez and Calum Chambers at Villa Park.
You may also like…
- ‘We have communication’: Fabrizio Romano has just relayed some bad news for Arsenal and Chelsea fans
- Report: Tottenham and Arsenal told they can now sign another ‘world-class’ attacking player for just £21m
- Report: Arsenal & Newcastle miss out on £14m target as Premier League side agree deal
- Arsenal fans will love what Thomas Partey did earlier as footage emerges from 5-1 win