Everton: Shock move for Draxler; Chelsea hit snag with Lukaku; Belgian linked
With many of Everton’s promising players such as youngster Ross Barkley enduring a disappointing 2015/16 campaign, new Toffees boss Ronald Koeman has been keen to add to his attacking options at Goodison Park.
After German international Julian Draxler handed in a transfer request at Bundesliga club Wolfsburg, the reckoning at the Independent is that Everton may make a surprise move for the wide-man, who has been previously linked with Arsenal. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/everton-arsenal-transfer-news-julian-draxler-a7170646.html
The 22-year-old declared his intent to leave Lower Saxony on Wednesday, and it is Everton with their fresh cash in hand from new investor Farhad Moshiri who have reportedly made their move first. With a buy-out clause of roughly £63 million, it may be an audacious approach from the Merseyside outfit given Arsenal’s interest, but the Toffees are stating their intent by even attempting to sign one of Europe’s most promising young players.
Back at Goodison, Koeman has expressed discontent at the efforts of Chelsea to unsettle Belgium forward Romelu Lukaku over a potential £60 million move back to Stamford Bridge with the possibility of Loic Remy heading in the other direction.
The Daily Mail reports that the unimpressed Dutch coach may veto any move by refusing to sell the forward given Chelsea’s attitude over their pursuit. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3722323/Everton-ready-refuse-Romelu-Lukaku-sale-Chelsea-s-attempts-unsettle-striker-infuriate-manager-Ronald-Koeman.html
Having dug their heels in over Chelsea’s wooing of John Stones last summer, Everton seem prepared to once more block a move of one of their players to the West London side, though they are allegedly yet to receive an official approach from the Blues over Lukaku, whose 27 goals across all competitions last season have helped make him hot property at Goodison. As such, The Toffees are known to be keen to hang onto him.
This transfer saga rumbles on for the meantime, though it may not be surprising to see nothing come of it as was the case with Stones last year.
Elsewhere, Everton’s forward-line has been an area in need of strengthening. If Lukaku were to depart the club would be left somewhat short-staffed up front and in an effort to bolster their attack, the Mirror reports that Everton are to battle it out with Sunderland for Liverpool flop Christian Benteke. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-everton-fight-out-christian-8556400
The move would most likely be lined-up in the event that Benteke’s Belgian compatriot Romelu Lukaku does indeed depart the club, but Everton are nevertheless prepared to meet their cross-city rivals’ £30 million asking price to see the Belgian make the audacious switch across Stanley Park from Anfield to Goodison.
With Everton insistent that Lukaku will start the season with the Toffees if Chelsea continually fail to match their demands, this transfer story may hinge on the outcome of the Lukaku saga, but it may be one to keep an eye on depending on how events on Merseyside play out over the coming days.
Featured Image: All Rights Reserved by Image Maniac.
You may also like…
- Report: Newcastle want ‘devastating’ £58m attacker with West Ham and four more clubs willing to bid
- ‘From what I’m told’: Fabrizio Romano has issued Robert Lewandowski transfer update
- Video: Sadio Mane mocks Jurgen Klopp at full-time as Liverpool see off Chelsea
- ‘He is brilliant’: Timo Werner says he wishes Chelsea had signed ‘incredible’ Liverpool man before Klopp did