Connect with us

Everton

Everton must retain Ademola Lookman, even if it costs Sam Allardyce’s job

Published

on

Photo: Getty Images.

The appointment of Sam Allardyce led to a few key changes within the Everton set-up, and one of those was the casting aside of young winger Ademola Lookman.

The winger was given a shot under David Unsworth and impressed, if not always convincing, but played just 30 minutes of Premier League action before Allardyce shipped him out on loan to Germany and Red Bull Leipzig.

Now, ESPN say that the Germans are keen to make that loan move a permanent one in the summer, but it is a possibility that Everton must resist and refuse to cash in early on a player of undoubted quality.

That Leipzig are interested speaks volumes in itself given the reputation they have developed over recent years for picking up young players, often discarded by bigger clubs, and developing them before selling them on again at a profit.

(during the International Friendly between England U21 and Romania U21 at Molineux on March 24, 2018 in Wolverhampton, England.

Right since his days at Charlton, Lookman has been highly rated and already possesses an impressive amount of first team experience given his young age and he’s stood out in Bundesliga too with four goals and two assists in 13 appearances, only six of them being starts.

His pace and dribbling have caused problems, particularly on the left flank, whilst Everton are crying out for another winger in their side to go alongside Yannick Bolasie on the opposite flank.

Allardyce may be reluctant to put his faith in Lookman, but if the club are to look towards their long-term aims, Lookman could form a key part. Allardyce does not.

Sam is a football journalist focusing on English football at all levels and Spanish football. He also writes for Spain's biggest daily sports newspaper, MARCA, as well as The Boot Room. Find Sam on Twitter at @samleveridge.

Everton

Everton may have to face up to reality of Davy Klaassen sticking around

Everton may have to keep Davy Klaassen on the books and they should give him a chance.

Mathew Nash

Published

on

Last summer Everton spent £23.6 million on Ajax captain Davy Klaassen. It was expected to be a hit signing, considering the season he had just had in Amsterdam. The attacking midfielder scored 20 goals and assisted 12 in 50 games for Ajax, helping them to the Europa League final.

But he struggled at Everton. Klaassen was not helped by the fact Everton signed Gylfi Sigurdsson and Wayne Rooney in the same window, both extremely similar players.

He also seemed to be off the pace for English football, but never got a prolonged chance to find his feet.

(Photo credit should read PAUL ELLIS/AFP/Getty Images)

Klaassen played just seven times in the Premier League but also struggled in his eight Europa League appearances.

That has led to a summer where it seemed he was on his way out. Turkish side Besiktas have so far emerged as the only creditable interested.  However, Everton team-mate told Cenk Tosun told Sabah this week that Klaassen had no interest in the deal.

So Everton might just have to accept that Klaassen is sticking around.


“Klaassen is a very good football player and I asked him if he would come to Besiktas.

“But he replied ‘I do not think Turkey.’ The subject was closed from the start.”

– Cenk Tosun on Davy Klaassen’s future


Which might not be a bad thing?

The Dutchman has an abundance of talent but he seemed suffocated at Everton last term. Marco Silva will need to decide whether there is a system in which Klaassen can actually thrive at Goodison Park.

The club will not want to make a big loss on what was a sizeable investment and, given he is still only 25-years-old, there is hope for the future.

If nobody wants him, Everton would be foolish not to use him and see if he can recapture that 2016-17 form that saw Everton splash the cash last summer.

Continue Reading

Everton

Everton round-up: Laxalt bid, Valderrama stings and Denny signs on

All the latest news and gossip from Everton.

Mathew Nash

Published

on

Laxalt bid

Everton are reportedly interested in signing Uruguay star Diego Laxalt. According to Primocanale the Genoa star is being targeted and Everton could bid €12 million (£10.6 million) to bring him to Goodison Park.

The 25-year-old had a good World Cup for Uruguay and can operate at left-back, an area of the pitch Everton are currently looking to improve.

Bournemouth are also keen on the player.

(Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)

Valderrama stitch up

Everton have been besmirched by Colombian legend Carlos Valderrama, who has told Yerry Mina to stay clear of the club.

He told Radio Caracol that Mina must reject a ‘mid–table’ team like Everton and join Galatasaray instead, where he can play in the Champions League.

Everton have been linked with a £21.6 million move for the World Cup star, who is set to be sold by Barcelona this summer.

Denny deal

Alex Denny has ended any speculation about his future by signing a one-year contract extension with the club.

The 18-year-old England youth international is considered one of Everton’s top young talents and earlier this summer was linked with a move to Steven Gerrard’s Rangers.

However, he has become the latest to sign a new deal at Everton and will be a key member of the under-23s next season.

Continue Reading

Everton

Who is Everton’s £35 million rated defensive target David Lopez?

Published

on

Photo: Getty Images.

Reports from Spain suggest that Everton may make a big money bid as Marco Silva looks to rejuvenate the Toffees’ back line, having yet to dip his toes into transfer window this summer after last summer’s catastrophes cost Ronaldo Koeman his job, with Espanyol captain David Lopez being eyed up.

Mundo Deportivo believe that the Merseyside club are one of three clubs, alongside Spanish duo Real Betis and Valencia, to be interested in signing the 28-year-old as his current team grow increasingly concerned that they could lose him.

It comes after Mundo Deportivo previously stated, amid interest from Newcastle United, that Lopez would only be allowed to leave the RCDE Stadium if his release clause of €40 million (£35.4 million) were to be paid in full, though the latest reports suggest that Everton would not be willing to match that.

(Photo by Manuel Queimadelos Alonso/Getty Images)

The former Napoli man is not well known by many in the Premier League, but he has quietly developed a reputation as one of La Liga’s steadiest defenders and a key part of one of Spain’s most solid defences at times in 2017/18.

Now in his third spell at the Catalan club, Lopez missed only one game last season, due to suspension, and played every other minute of action, keeping 15 clean sheets in 43 appearances, with his leadership and command at the back likely being key to the role that Silva could see him taking up at Goodison Park.

“It would not be good for the team if he were to leave because he is a player with status and in the spine of the team. Finding a player of his quality is complicated. It would be a tough blow and it would not be positive for the team. I hope he will continue, with him we gain a lot on the ball, in terms of tactical sense and helping the team. He’s a key man.”

Team-mate Victor Sanchez recently discussed the impact losing Lopez would have on Espanyol, speaking to L’Esportiu de Catalunya.

Consistent and strong in the tackle, Lopez offers everything that Everton have been crying out for as they look to replace their ageing giants of Phil Jagielka and Ashley Williams.

With a ready made leader potentially ready to come in alongside Michael Keane, Lopez may not be the kind of glamour buy that some fans may have been hoping for, but he will certainly get the job done and bring a rich pedigree with him.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 The Boot Room.