Everton: Lukaku update; Newcastle move for youngster; defender snubs move
Despite reports to the contrary in recent weeks, the Telegraph are claiming that Everton are yet to receive an official bid from Chelsea for Romelu Lukaku. The Belgian forward has long been linked with a move away from Goodison Park and if reports are to be believed, his former employers are formulating a plot to lure him back to West London.
After a disappointing transfer window thus far, Everton boss Ronald Koeman will be keen to keep hold of the club’s top goal-scorer from last season, and has insisted that the 23-year-old is not for sale. The report claims that the Toffees do anticipate an official bid at some point, with it being expected that Chelsea will attempt to include Loic Remy in any deal in order to bring down the transfer fee for Lukaku.
Lukaku went off injured in Saturday’s 1-0 friendly defeat to Espanyol, and although the extent of the injury is not yet known, his manager has stated that he is hopeful that the player will be fit for next weekend’s Premier League opener at home to Tottenham Hotspur.
Meanwhile, the Daily Mirror claims that Newcastle United are lining up a loan move for full-back Brendan Galloway.
The 20-year-deal impressed when given a chance in the Everton first eleven last season but the return of Leighton Baines from injury means that opportunities will likely be scarce this coming season. It is believed that Magpies boss Rafa Benitez is hoping to capitalise on this by offering the youngster first-team football up at St. James’ Park.
However, the report goes on to claim that Koeman’s failure to bring in defensive reinforcements so far this summer means he is reluctant to let Galloway leave just yet, and the Dutchman has apparently refused to give a definitive answer to the Magpies’ proposal.
The defender joined Everton in 2014 from MK Dons, where he came through the youth system, and has gone on to make 21 appearances during his time on Merseyside. With Baines now 31, and coming towards the end of his peak years, Galloway is the natural replacement and although his path may be blocked for now, a full season in the Championship could be exactly what he needs in order to transform him into a player capable of taking Baines’ spot come next season.
Finally, following reports of the Toffees’ interest in Sunderland defender Lamine Kone, the defender has reportedly stated his intention to stay on Wearside for the forthcoming campaign, according to the Daily Mail.
The 27-year-old was an important back of the Black Cats side that survived relegation last season after joining the club from French club Lorient in January, and was apparently being lined up as a potential replacement for Manchester City target John Stones. Kone scored in Sunderland’s 1-1 draw with Borussia Dortmund on Friday and with the recent appointment of David Moyes as the club’s new manager, he seems set on continuing his career with the club.
Such news is a further blow to Koeman’s transfer policy this summer, which has so far only yielded the signings of Maarten Stekelenburg and Idrissa Gueye. With just six days until the Toffees kick off the new season, supporters are understandably a little underwhelmed about the chances of them challenging with the Premier League’s elite after a disappointing 11th-place finish last time out.
Featured image: all rights reserved by RTV Rijnmond
You may also like…
- Report: Newcastle want ‘devastating’ £58m attacker with West Ham and four more clubs willing to bid
- ‘From what I’m told’: Fabrizio Romano has issued Robert Lewandowski transfer update
- Video: Sadio Mane mocks Jurgen Klopp at full-time as Liverpool see off Chelsea
- ‘He is brilliant’: Timo Werner says he wishes Chelsea had signed ‘incredible’ Liverpool man before Klopp did