A number of Everton fans have been giving their thoughts on Twitter regarding the prospect of Andre Gomes potentially returning to action for the Toffees this weekend, as per Carlo Ancelotti’s comments to the Goodison Park media team.
The Everton midfielder suffered a dislocation fracture to his right ankle in the draw against Tottenham in November, an injury that had been expected to sideline him for the rest of the season.
However, Gomes’ rehabilitation has progressed well, the Portuguese maestro returning to training and playing an hour of a behind-closed-doors friendly at Finch Farm last weekend.
Everton have missed Gomes, as he is arguably their most talented player in his position, and Ancelotti has admitted that he is considering the 26-year-old for a starting role against Arsenal in the Premier League this weekend.
“My personal opinion is he is ready to play,” the Italian told the Everton media team.
“When a player has been out for a long period, I think it is better to start the game. He can prepare properly, (rather) than to put him on from the bench. But I have to speak to him and together we can find a solution.”
Ancelotti’s comments were music to many Evertonians’ ears on social media, though some urged caution given the severity of the injury he’s come back from.
Here is some of the reaction on Twitter:
?Only if he is 200%ready please.
— ?Anne Celotti Williams ? (@annewillia) February 18, 2020
Definitely rather be cautious than put him in and risk it but…..I trust our team to make the right decision ????
— Paul Hutchinson (@nilsatispjh) February 19, 2020
Gomes is gonna be such a baller under Ancelotti
— Cole (@NSNOcole) February 19, 2020
? hopefully he gets license to do nothing but through balls to Richy and Kean playing off the last defender’s shoulder
— mbp (@Philatty) February 19, 2020
If he says he is ready and he is medically signed off on it, i see no issue. He won’t get fitter/stronger watching from the sidelines.
— Matt ♿️ (@Matt_S_1982) February 18, 2020
As much as I want to see him play this weekend, I would rest him another week then bring him on at Goodison so he gets the full welcome back
— Charlie Heyes (@heyeschaz) February 18, 2020
Literally in love with Ancelloti
— James Murphy (@MurphsJplace) February 18, 2020
if carlo and andre think hes ready to start, then he needs to start. by far our most gifted centre midfielder. with the tough fixtures coming up, he could be the difference. id start him with schneiderlin.
— Simon Lovelady Wakenshaw (@siewakes20) February 19, 2020
Great news ??
— Nikhil Saglani (@Nikhil_Saglani) February 19, 2020
Gomes initially joined Everton on a season-long loan from Barcelona on transfer deadline day in August 2018 and although he had to recover from a hamstring injury first, it did not take long for him to win over the Blues faithful as he began turning out for Silva’s side.
The Portugal international made his Everton debut in a 2-0 victory over Crystal Palace in October 2018 at Goodison Park and went on to make a total of 29 appearances – scoring one goal – last term, before sealing a permanent switch on a five-year contract with the Toffees in a £22million deal (official Everton website).