Emery really wanted Arsenal to sign 'dream' striker back in 2018, now he could get £50m move to Newcastle
Arsenal are in the market for a new striker now and they were on the lookout for a forward three years ago as well, when Unai Emery was at the helm. Patrik Schick was a target then.
The Czech international’s rise to fame over the last few years has been phenomenal.
He was surplus to requirements at Roma a few years ago, even though the Giallorossi forked out a club-record £37 million to sign him. (ESPN)
After a disappointing spell there, he was shipped out on loan to RB Leipzig, where Julian Nagelsmann called him an ‘absolute dream‘. He then joined Bayer Leverkusen on a permanent deal and he has become a star there.
Arsenal could’ve signed Patrik Schick for practically nothing
Corriere dello Sport revealed a little over three years ago that Unai Emery was interested in signing Schick for Arsenal to replace Danny Welbeck, who had suffered a horrible ankle injury.
The report then claimed that the Gunners could’ve signed Schick in a straight swap deal which would’ve seen Aaron Ramsey go the other way. That move never materialised, but Arsenal still ended up losing the Welshman for nothing, as he walked away at the end of his contract.
If the Arsenal board had agreed to Emery’s demands and signed Schick, the Gunners would’ve still lost Ramsey for free, but they would’ve got the Czech international in return – for practically nothing.
Now, it will cost a fortune for any club to sign him.
- ‘From what I hear’: David Ornstein provides the very latest update on Dusan Vlahovic to Arsenal transfer
Patrik Schick could join Newcastle for £50m
Sky Sports revealed this week that Newcastle United are looking at a number of talented strikers in Europe and Leverkusen star Schick is one of them.
The Czech international has scored 17 goals and has provided three assists in just 15 Bundesliga appearances. That’s a goal every 70 minutes, which is an outrageous return for any player.
Newcastle would really benefit from a striker of Schick’s quality, but Leverkusen want an eye-watering £50 million for him. That makes a deal unlikely, but if anybody can fork out that amount of money like it’s nothing, it’s the Magpies, who have the richest owners in world football now.
It will be interesting to see how this pans out but if Newcastle end up getting Schick, the Arsenal board may kick themselves for missing out on him three years ago.
- Report: Arsenal board now ready to pay more than £70m to beat Newcastle and Klopp to ‘ridiculous’ player
You may also like…
- Report: Arsenal player now wants to leave after Arteta didn’t pick him to start against Liverpool last night
- ‘Didn’t want to play him’: Arteta admits he wishes 23-year-old wasn’t in Arsenal’s starting line-up last night
- ‘Not happy’: Thomas Partey issues Instagram statement after being sent off for Arsenal last night
- Report: League winners make ‘hugely attractive’ offer to Arsenal for their ‘phenomenal’ player, he’s considering it