David Ornstein says Arteta seriously wants to sign 'excellent' defender Lisandro Martinez
David Ornstein and James McNicholas of The Athletic discussed Arsenal’s reported interest in Ajax defender Lisandro Martinez this summer.
The Gunners have already signed Marquinhos and Fabio Vieira in this window, while confirmation of Matt Turner’s arrival is expected to be made imminently. Mikel Arteta and Edu, however, are not stopping just there.
Arsenal still need a striker, potentially another central midfielder and also a player who can cover for both Gabriel Magalhaes and Kieran Tierney when required.
Ajax and Argentina star Martinez is reportedly Arteta’s prime target for that left-sided defensive role this summer.
- ‘It’s true’: Ten Hag has just asked Man United to sign Arsenal target Lisandro Martinez – Fabrizio Romano
David Ornstein says Arsenal are strongly in for Lisandro Martinez
Speaking on The Athletic’s YouTube channel, McNicholas first said: “A left-sided defender is another thing we’ve talked about and Lisandro Martinez is a player they admire enormously at Ajax.
“It’s a deal Arsenal would like to get done. That would tick off another need for them. He’s someone who can cover, yes at centre-back, but also at left-back and even in holding midfield.
“I think he’s a really attractive player in that respect.”
Ornstein then added: “Arsenal are really, strongly in for him, so we’ll see how that develops. They may face some competition.”
Arsenal have four centre-halves in Ben White, Gabriel, Rob Holding and William Saliba, while at left-back, Arteta has Kieren Tierney and Nuno Tavares. That, on paper, should be enough, but the Gunners are right to look at Martinez.
Tavares’ inexperience and Tierney’s injuries issues make Arsenal’s left side really weak. The Gunners don’t have a left-footed option to play in Gabriel’s place either, which is also a concern.
Martinez, who is still only 24, would come in and solve both issues instantaneously, and as a bonus to Arteta, the Argentine, branded as ‘excellent’ by Erik Ten Hag, can play in defensive midfield as well.
He would be a fine signing for Arsenal, and Gunners fans will be hoping Edu can get this over the line.
- Video: Arsenal’s latest transfer target Lisandro Martinez produces an outrageous piece of skill in training
You may also like…
- Fabrizio Romano: Gabriel Jesus will have his Arsenal medical this morning
- Report: AC Milan want William Saliba after missing out on Sven Botman
- Fabrizio Romano says there’s ‘no way’ Arsenal will loan out William Saliba now
- ‘This week’: Arsenal about to step up bid for ‘unbelievable’ player in coming days, Romano says