Connect with us

Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace should resist the signing of Stoke midfielder Joe Allen

Max Cohen

Published

on

Joe Allen
Photo: Getty Images

Reports this week in The Guardian suggested that Crystal Palace have registered interest in signing Joe Allen following Stoke City’s relegation.

Further reports in The Sun claimed the Potters are seeking £20 million for the Welsh international, a hefty price tag that should deter Palace, as they already have sufficient options in the centre of midfield.

During the 2017/18 campaign, Yohan Cabaye, Luka Milivojevic, and James McArthur have all been excellent for the south Londoners.

Between the three, the midfielders have contributed 15 goals and three assists in the Premier League- impressive numbers considering Palace’s goal-shy start to the season under Frank de Boer.

In addition, Chelsea loanee Ruben Loftus-Cheek was a commanding presence in midfield at Selhurst Park. Even though injury hampered his year, the Englishman left his mark at Palace and should be targeted for a permanent deal this year.

(during the Premier League match between Liverpool and Stoke City at Anfield on April 28, 2018 in Liverpool, England.

It is clear that the Eagles have a wealth of options in the centre of the park, and their midfield repertoire was given a boost this week when the Evening Standard reported the club was confident that Cabaye would sign a new contract this summer.

With the influential Frenchman securing his future at Selhurst Park, there is simply no need for the services of Joe Allen in SE25.

Add in the Welshman’s exorbitant £20 million price-tag (which is £7 million more than Palace paid for Cabaye in 2015), it would be a foolish decision for Roy Hodgson to buy the midfielder.

Crystal Palace should resist the urge to splurge for Joe Allen, as money would be best spent on purchasing a top-class striker rather than bolstering an already-impressive midfield.

Max is a journalist studying at the University of Pennsylvania. Max specialises in English football and co-hosts a weekly podcast. He is also a politics reporter and deputy news editor for The Daily Pennsylvanian.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Crystal Palace

Blow for Crystal Palace as Juventus reportedly enter race for Patrick van Aanholt

Juventus are reportedly interested in bringing the fan favourite to Turin this summer.

Jamie Watts

Published

on

Crystal Palace‘s hopes of tying down left-back Patrick van Aanholt have taken a serious blow today, with ESPN reporting that Juventus are plotting a potential swoop for the Dutchman this summer.

The Italian champions are said to be drawing up a shortlist of potential candidates to replace superstar fullback Alex Sandro, should he leave for Manchester United in the near future, and the defender is said to feature highly on the wish-list.

Photo: Getty Images

Van Aanholt emerged as a sensational attacking full-back last season, and orchestrated a number of vital wins for the Eagles during the latter half of the campaign. The ex-Chelsea defender bagged an impressive five goals and an assist in 28 appearances, as his side secured a comfortable 11th place finish, and Roy Hodgson will be desperate to keep him at Selhurst Park beyond the window.

The Eagles are already in the process of fending off Everton for the 27-year-old’s services, with Marco Silva registering his interest in the player last month (Daily Mail). But it appears the task will become a whole lot harder now the Serie A giants are in the mix.

As an attacking full-back by trade, Van Aanholt’s pace – registering the second-fastest sprint speed in the Premier League last term – and versatility, allow him to play anywhere along the left-flank similarly to Sandro, which suits Juve and Max Allegri, who has a knack of employing different systems and strategies regularly.

Photo: Getty Images

The player’s current contract runs until 2021 with Palace and he has previously revealed that he is well settled and comfortable in south-east London. However, the prospect of moving to one of the world’s biggest clubs, who have just recorded their seventh successive Scudetto, would be incredibly enticing. And at 27, it could be the last chance for the former Sunderland man to secure a high-profile move.

Continue Reading

Crystal Palace

Timothy Fosu-Mensah becoming ‘impatient’ at Manchester United; Crystal Palace should take advantage

Crystal Palace could land the Manchester United starlet for another season.

Jamie Watts

Published

on

Jose Mourinho Manchester United

Manchester United‘s academy graduate Tomthy Fosu-Mensah is tired of future promises and wants to succeed as early as possible in the game, according to quotes from Manchester Evening News.

The 20-year-old spent last season on loan with Crystal Palace, making a significant contribution with 24 appearances, but now with his loan period ending the Netherlands international is due to return to Old Trafford in July, and he has asserted he wants a key-role next term.

However, with the additions of Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fred and Porto right-back Diogo Dalot arriving early this summer, it appears game-time for the starlet isn’t at the top of Jose Mourinho’s priorities, as the manager is under pressure to deliver titles in his third season. And Fosu Mensah will likely face further frustration if he stays.

Photo: Getty Images

Palace should take their opportunity to try and land the player’s signature again for next season, whether it be permanent, or more likely on loan. Despite failing to really shine consistently at Selhurst Park, there’s no doubting his immense potential, and the Eagles could unearth a serious player if they were to offer him a consistent place.

Roy Hodgson needs quality reinforcements this summer after releasing Joel Ward and another move for the talented Dutchman would be a risk-free step in the right direction.

His versatility would also allow for Hodgson to deploy him as a defensive midfielder, as the right-back position is also likely to be occupied by Aaron Wan-Bissaka, after his late breakthrough last season.

Mourinho will be keen to keep a hold of United’s academy graduate for the foreseeable future, but with a 19-year-old arriving to bolster the options at right-back for £18 million, and with new captain Antonio Valencia producing the best performances of his career, it seems unlikely Fosu Mensah will be given what he wants next season.

Continue Reading

Arsenal

Jack Wilshere has hinted at Arsenal exit, West Ham should move now

Jamie Watts

Published

on

Jack Wilshere
Photo: Getty Images

After a lengthy saga, it appears Jack Wilshere may have made a decision on his Arsenal future, with the midfielder posting a cryptic message on his Instagram story last night.

The midfielder’s current contract expires at the end of the month, and the likelihood is he will now move on to pastures new, with the likes of West Ham, Everton, Crystal Palace, Newcastle and Premier League new boys Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham, said to be interested in his services, according to the Sun.

The 26-year-old was left out of the England squad for the World Cup this summer due to his diminished role with Arsenal, and revealed his “disappointment” on the day through his official Twitter account. And it now appears he will prioritise making himself essential at both club and international level next season, and that is unlikely with Arsenal.

Wilshere took to Instagram last night to share a story that suggests he has made the decision to depart north London this summer. The post read: “There comes a time when you need to choose between turning the page and closing the book.”

Manuel Pellegrini has been tasked with getting West Ham back to playing attacking and progressive football next term, and the addition of Wilshere would go a long way to achieving that.

The Chilean has identified a midfielder as the key to ushering in his new philosophy and is interested in bringing Wilshere to the London Stadium this summer, according to reports from the Daily Star.

Photo: Getty Images

And the time is now to make his move. The Hammers have stalled on talks for the likes of Javier Pastore, Yaya Toure and Mario Lemina in recent weeks and Wilshere would be an excellent alternative, as his technical quality and experience would add plenty to the current side.

Having made 38 appearances in all competitions last season, it also appears that the Englishman has improved his fitness, which has always been his primary weakness.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 The Boot Room.