Cole hits out at the FA
Ashley Cole’s England career could be in jeopardy after he made an astonishing response on Twitter to criticism of his role in the John Terry racism case.
The independent Football Association regulatory commission said there were discrepancies in Cole’s initial statement to FA interviewers of what he heard Anton Ferdinand say to Terry compared to a later statement.
Cole responded on his official Twitter account on Friday afternoon: “Hahahahaa, well done #fa I lied did I, #BUNCHOFT****”. He later deleted his offensive tweet, but only after it was re-tweeted more than 19,000 times.
The Chelsea and England full-back’s evidence proved crucial to Terry in his acquittal at Westminster Magistrates Court in July, but the FA commission last week banned Terry for four matches for racially abusing Ferdinand.
Asked about Cole’s tweet, Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo said they would look into it. He said: “We’ll look at the tweet and then we’ll see. Apart from this, I don’t think the players are out of control.”
Cole’s involvement surrounded Terry’s claim that he had only been repeating the words “f***ing black c***” that he thought Ferdinand had accused him of saying. Cole backed up his team-mate and said he thought Ferdinand may have used the word ‘black’ during a verbal exchange with Terry.
But according to the FA commission’s written reasons published on Friday morning, Cole did not mention the word ‘black’ in the initial interview with the FA on October 28. On November 3, Chelsea club secretary David Barnard asked the FA for the specific word ‘black’ to be inserted into Cole’s witness statement, suggesting that Cole may have heard Ferdinand use the term.
This situation will certainly give Roy Hodgson another selection headache. Whatever Cole’s feelings about the findings of an independent FA commission, his abusive tweet is at best ill-advised and at worst potentially enough to bring about the end of his England career.
At 98 appearances it’s a great shame that he may not reach a century of caps. In my opinion he’s a fantastic player, the best left back in the Premier league at least. I hope that any potential ban doesn’t prevent him playing for the Three Lions in the future.
You may also like…
- Report: Tottenham-linked Champions League winner still faces uncertain future
- Chelsea fans react as Maurizio Sarri reportedly wants 25-year-old
- ‘He’s insane’: Some Villa fans have ‘heard good things’ on ‘world-class’ ace linked with transfer
- Report: Maurizio Sarri to raid Chelsea for £60,000-a-week misfit