Hours after the Spanish transfer deadline passed last night, the Daily Mail reported that Chelsea have included striker Diego Costa in their 25 man squad for the Premier League. It is a shock move with Costa still in his home town in Brazil and refusing to return to training after being told that Antonio Conte did not count on him this season.
In another bizarre twist, Costa was not included in the club’s squad list for their Champions League campaign this season, according to journalist Duncan Castles on Twitter. Costa’s future is clearly still up in the air and it seems inevitable that he will leave in January when Atletico Madrid’s transfer ban is lifted.
Costa’s was one of the transfer sagas of the summer, but so was Ross Barkley’s situation. The Everton midfielder pulled out of a move to Stamford Bridge at the last minute, and the Daily Mail believe that it was the rushed nature of the deal that saw the England man change his mind.
Barkley was about to undergo a medical, but it’s thought that he was reluctant to rush into a deal whilst Tottenham remained interest. Spurs did not make contact with Everton this summer, but Barkley wants to work with Mauricio Pochettino and he feels it may be possible if he waits until January.
In better news for the Blues, Eden Hazard has made a return to action with the Belgian national team. Whilst Antonio Conte may not be pleased to see his star man risked for Belgium after such a long time out, he will have been pleased to see him score against Gibraltar on Thursday night.
Hazard could also play for Roberto Martinez’s side against Greece on Sunday in their next World Cup qualifier. Chelsea fans will then be hoping that he is fit enough to come into contention for their upcoming Premier League games as they look to extend their run of two wins on the bounce.
Arsenal and Chelsea receive huge boost in pursuit of Aleksandr Golovin
The London rivals have been given an edge over Juventus in the pursuit it seems.
London rivals Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea have recieved a huge boost in their pursuit of Russian maestro Aleksandr Golovin, after the play-maker’s father revealed he is currently learning English, in quotes via Russian outlet Komsomolskaya Pravda.
Italian giants Juventus are said to be courting the CSKA Moscow midfielder closely, with some reports even claiming a deal had been agreed between the two clubs (Calciomercato). However, the new revelation from the player’s father suggests the move is anything but a formality, and Chelsea and Arsenal remain in the race.
“He [Golovin] now has one thing on his mind: the Russian team. But if such proposals are made, I believe that he will go abroad, play abroad,” the Russian international’s father claimed.
“Their football is of a different level, there is nowhere to hide. Speeds are different. I’m sure my son will be able to play at a new level. It will be more difficult with a foreign language. But I know that he has already started learning English.”
Arsenal have no plans of slowing down in the transfer window after agreeing a deal for 34-year-old Stephan Lichtsteiner and closing in on Lucas Torreira. SportBILD claims that a deal for Bernd Leno is also close to being completed, as personal terms have been agreed. And now it would appear Unai Emery is keen on continuing the pursuit for Golovin.
However, they will face stern competition from west London, as Chelsea have expressed an interest in signing the 22-year-old, with the Express claiming that the club are looking to quickly encore the managerial appointment of Maurizio Sarri with the Italian’s long-spanning target.
CSKA are said to want £22 million before they would be willing to do business for a player they regard as one of the most influential in their squad, while they also assert that a sell-on clause will be part of any deal, to ensure they dont miss out should the player’s market value drastically increase in the future, according to The Sun.
Willian could hold key to Tottenham landing Anthony Martial
If Manchester United land the Brazilian it would undoubtedly improve Tottenham’s chances.
Manchester United are reportedly preparing a £60 million bid to bring Chelsea winger Willian to Old Trafford this summer, according to reports from the Daily Mail, with manager Jose Mourinho having been linked with an approach for his former star for some time.
Chelsea were unwilling to sell at that time, but it is possible that Willian could be interested in a new challenge after apparently growing frustrated with life at Stamford Bridge, according to recent reports from Sky Sports. He managed a combined 25 goals and assists in 55 appearances in 2017/18, but only 20 of his 37 Premier League outings actually came as a starter.
Tottenham meanwhile, have become frustrated at United’s assertion that Anthony Martial will not be sold this summer (Sky Sports), after Mauricio Pochettino made the Frenchman his priority target last month (the Sun), as he looks to bolster the supply line to Harry Kane next term.
However, Martial’s revelation that he wants to leave the club could be vital for Spurs, as Mourinho has previously stated that he would never stop a player from moving if they really want the move and the money is right. And he’s backed up his words, selling two-time Chelsea Player of the Year Juan Mata to his current club in 2014.
The Red Devils are currently stacked in terms of depth for the left wing, with Marcus Rashford struggling to start games over January signing Alexis Sanchez, but wide-right is somewhat scarce and Willian would undoubtedly improve United’s balance for the better.
Although the manager would prefer the Frenchman went abroad, if he asked for the move to north London, Willian’s transfer to United would undoubtedly improve Pochettino’s chances of securing his key man. United will also be buoyed by their recent business with the west Londoners, having surprisingly secured the signing of Nemanja Matic from Stamford Bridge last summer.
Rafa Benitez should plot Fernando Torres reunion at Newcastle United
Rafa Benitez should plot a reunion with his former superstar.
Newcastle United are reportedly in the market for new forwards this summer, with Rafa Benitez identifying the Magpies’ attacking output as a key weakness last term, despite their impressive 10th place finish.
The Spaniard is calling for the club to back him in pursuit of a “10 to 15 goals a season” striker this summer, with the likes of Salomon Rondon (Northern Echo) and Bas Dost (the Sun) circulating around the Newcastle rumour mill.
However, both would likely break the Magpies current club-record of £16 million – for Michael Owen from Real Madrid in 2005 – and perhaps Benitez would be better served going for a former favourite.
Fernando Torres is a free-agent having left Atletico Madrid, following last month’s Europa League triumph and Newcastle should offer the 34-year-old a route back to England’s top flight this summer.
Under Benitez’s tutelage at Liverpool, Torres was widely recognised as one of the most formidable forwards in world football, and though his impact has diminished over the years, there’s no doubting the World Cup winner’s quality in front of goal.
The prospect of an elite level striker arriving at St James’ Park on a free transfer is a no brainier if the player can be convinced and the club should make it happen. He knows the league inside-out, having made 212 appearances for Chelsea – where he won the Champions League – and with Benitez at Anfield, and he could instantly propel Newcastle’s attack to higher levels.
Becoming a crucial part of a new project on Tyneside would be enticing for Torres, as his unwavering desire and tenacity on a football pitch is something that cannot be questioned. And he doesn’t seem the type to move to the States or China in pursuit of one last pay-cheque.
He has all the attributes to become a cult-hero at Newcastle, and the club should act now.
Fans react on Twitter to Sergej Milinkovic-Savic performance
Goncalo Guedes and Andre Gomes would make Wolves top-six contenders
Has Pontus Jansson pushed Victor Lindelof out of the Sweden team?
Andre Gomes should ignore Tottenham and join Wolves’ Portuguese revolution
Rectifying Patrick Bamford departure would be superb Nottingham Forest business
West Bromwich Albion17 hours ago
West Brom will hope Nacer Chadli continues to play World Cup role
Tottenham Hotspur18 hours ago
Tottenham have perfect chance to finally sign Moussa Dembele this summer
Everton9 hours ago
Everton round-up: Juanpe wanted, Schneiderlin exit route and Carvalho blow
Arsenal15 hours ago
Fans criticise Jack Wilshere omission after Jordan Henderson’s ‘toothless’ England performance
Huddersfield Town19 hours ago
Ramadan Sobhi still has everything to prove after joining Huddersfield Town
English Premier League17 hours ago
Newcastle United’s move for Swansea City’s Jordan Ayew makes sense
Bayer Leverkusen20 hours ago
After Felipe Anderson £35m valuation West Ham should turn attention to Julian Brandt
Aston Villa13 hours ago
Aston Villa fans react with joy as Carlos Sanchez is first man sent off at World Cup