Chelsea: Conte discusses Sanchez speculation; points deduction possible; Conte wanted Hazard assurances
Amid recent speculation that the Blues could make a move for Alexis Sanchez to partner Diego Costa in a dream duo up front, Antonio Conte was asked on Friday about whether there was any truth in the speculation. He responded:
“I don’t think it is right to talk about the other players, the other teams. It’s not right. Now we are totally focused on our next game against West Brom. January or next season are so far. I repeat it’s not right to talk about other players. It’s a lack of respect for the other team and for my players.”
Whilst Conte did not seem keen to discuss the rumours, he certainly did not rule out any interest from the club in the Chilean.
There is bad news for the former Juventus manager though as the Mirror report that the club could face a points deduction after the brawl at the Etihad in the final moments of the clash with Manchester City.
It is the fifth time in 19 months that Chelsea have been found guilty of failing to control their players, and they were threatened with a points deduction after their last fine from the London derby against Tottenham at the end of last season. If the FA do follow through on their threat, the Blues would be the first team to have such a punishment in 26 years.
It has also emerged that Antonio Conte sought assurances before taking the Chelsea job, and one of his top priorities was to ensure that Eden Hazard would not be allowed to depart the club during the summer transfer window in which he arrived, say ESPN.
It represents a real show of faith in the Belgian who had a horrid season last year but remained in demand with some of Europe’s biggest clubs, and it is now clear to see why as the Italian manager has got him playing back to his best.
Featured Image: All rights reserved by Emrah Partal.
You may also like…
- ‘What I’m told…’: Romano says January move possible for ‘fantastic’ player Tottenham want
- Report: Chelsea planning Luke Harris move; ready to pay £30m in January
- Report: Tottenham signed ‘exceptional’ player instead of Chelsea, Antonio Conte was key in negotiations
- Report: Conte wanted £60m superstar at Spurs but he could now be set for Chelsea