Chelsea 2012/13 Season Preview
We take a look at Chelsea’s prospects leading up to the new Premier league Season.
Manager: Roberto Di Matteo
Stadium: Stamford Bridge – 41, 837
Nickname: The Blues
2011/12 League Position: 6th
Eden Hazard – Lille – £32m
Oscar – Internacional – £25m
Marko Marin – Werder Bremen – £7m
Thorgan Hazard – Lens – Undisclosed
John Terry – Terry has been the rock at the heart of the Chelsea defence for years and that won’t change this season.
Frank Lampard – The club legend remains integral to Di Matteo’s 4-2-3-1 pla. Sitting alongside Obi Mikel in a deep-lying role, his assured passing was vital to both cup successes. He won’t be ever present, but more of the same will be need in the bigger games.
Juan Mata – Mata’s footballing brain is very impressive. He had a great opening season in the Premier League, expect him to impress even further this time round.
- Lampard will likely play a deeper role this season. He can start attacks with his passing and vision.
- Ramires, Mata and Eden Hazard will form a deadly trio behind the lone striker.
- Torres will need to be on top form this time round. He’ll need to be strong, quick and full of movement as he plays upfront on his own.
August 19th Wigan (A), 22nd Reading (H), 25th Newcastle (H), September 15th QPR (A), 22nd Stoke (H), 29th Arsenal (A)
Despite last season’s Champions League and Fa Cup wins, this Chelsea side is very much in a transition period. Di Matteo has spent over £60 million this summer and that will help close the gap on the Manchester clubs. 3rd
You may also like…
- Jan Vertonghen reacts on Twitter to Tottenham’s game with Chelsea yesterday
- Cesc Fabregas makes four-word tweet during Chelsea vs Tottenham game, backfires on him almost immediately
- ‘I don’t know how many’: Tuchel slams two Tottenham players for what they kept doing against Chelsea
- ‘Not the level’: £58m player has no interest in joining Leeds United this summer, journalist suggests