Charlie Nicholas told Soccer Saturday on Sky Sports (broadcast on 19/10 from 12:00 pm) that he cannot understand why Everton did not rival West Ham United for Sebastien Haller in the summer.
Despite beating Manuel Pellegrini’s side at the weekend, there are still issues that Marco Silva will need to address. The most notable problem the Toffees appear to have is up front.
Everton’s top goalscorers have two goals each this season. Dominic Calvert-Lewin is one of those with two, but the likes of Cenk Tosun and Moise Kean are yet to get off the mark.
And ahead of their win over West Ham, Nicholas was asked whether Hammers summer signing Haller would improve Everton’s ranks.
“He would do,” he told Soccer Saturday on Sky Sports. “I think they’re fourth top spenders in the Premier League and you would say why are they not identifying this type?
“If you refuse to play two up front, three up front at times, which Everton do, then you have to find a solution. This is a guy who plays the position naturally and also he’s a link man. But he’s in and around the box, it’s not all about crosses for headers and going after that side of things. This guy’s clever, he’s bright.”
Of course, Everton would come out on top on Saturday. And Haller would endure an incredibly frustrating afternoon at Goodison Park. But Toffees fans would still be forgiven for wishing that they had signed the Frenchman in the summer.
The 25-year-old has four Premier League goals to his name this term. And he proved with Eintracht Frankfurt last year that he can adapt to different systems. He provided nine assists in the Bundesliga last year and formed a lethal partnership with Luka Jovic.
He is now performing well in the lone striker role. So perhaps he should have been a player that Everton did target in the summer – even if he was unable to make much of an impact at the weekend.