Aug 2, 2016
97 Views
Comments Off on West Ham: Striker set to sign; Arsenal reject bid; German striker interest

West Ham: Striker set to sign; Arsenal reject bid; German striker interest

Written by

Slaven Bilic is set to secure his first striker of the summer, after Deportivo Maldonado forward Jonathan Calleri told reporters “the transfer to West Ham is already completed”, claim the Express.

The young Argentinean striker will not be able to make his West Ham debut just yet, with the 22-year-old currently with the national squad for the Olympic Games, but he is set to join up once a deal has been officially confirmed and his national side have exited the competition.

 

A team-mate of Manuel Lanzini at international level, Calleri has been linked with the likes of Barcelona and Inter Milan, so the signing on a season-long loan with a view to a permanent deal could definitely be considered a coup by the London club.

Having previously impressed for Boca Juniors and São Paulo, the Premier League will provide a challenge, but one that Calleri should adapt to quickly.

As their hunt for another forward continues, the Sun claim that the Hammers are considering making a £7 million offer to Fiorentina for German forward Mario Gomez, who turned down a permanent move to his current loan club, Besiktas. At 31 and a Champions League winner, Gomez may be past his peak but he does bring experience to any outfit.

READ MORE:  West Ham fans on Twitter: Winston Reid's news, Southampton predictions, Declan Rice's form

 

Having scored 28 goals in 41 games in Turkey last season, Gomez clearly still has the ability to be prolific and may well better suit the West Ham way and style of play with his aerial strength and robustness.

At just £7 million, Gomez would also be a cheap option to strengthen the front line. He may not be a long term solution, but would certainly provide quality for the coming season.

In terms of the left-back hunt, the Hammers have received two knock-backs, with Sky Sports reporting that Norwich have rejected a £3 million bid for Martin Olsson, whilst the Standard claim that Arsenal have turned down a loan offer for Kieran Gibbs.

 

The Canaries are said to be reluctant to sell Sweden star Olsson, who they signed for £2.5 million three years ago, but with just one year left to run on his current contract, there remains a possibility that the two sides could come to an agreement. At what price though, it is difficult to tell, and the Irons are unlikely to want to fork out for the 28-year-old.

READ MORE:  Chelsea round-up: £25 million deal approved; enquiry for Germany star; Liverpool could move for striker

Their other target, Kieran Gibbs, is even less likely to come to the Olympic Stadium. Whilst he lost his place in the Gunners first team last season to Nacho Monreal, he is still happy to fight for his place at the Emirates, and Arsenal would be reluctant to leave themselves without cover without a strong incentive.

Bilic sees Gibbs as a good option, but acknowledges the difficulties in making it possible, and a move for Olsson may well be prioritised as the club look to sign cover for Cresswell as soon as possible and without prolonged negotiations with players, agents and clubs.

Featured Image: All rights reserved by chao1989.


Sam is a Southend United fan and student based in the South-West. He has previously worked for various publications, including FourFourTwo magazine and ITV. Sam also has an extensive knowledge of Spanish football and has previously lived and worked in Spain. Find Sam on Twitter at @samleveridge.

Comments are closed on this article.