May 10, 2017
303 Views
Comments Off on Tottenham round-up: Manchester United want £40million midfielder; Levy issues contract statement; Spurs stadium update

Tottenham round-up: Manchester United want £40million midfielder; Levy issues contract statement; Spurs stadium update

Written by

According to reports in the Mirror over the past day, Manchester United are set to make a move for Tottenham and England midfielder Eric Dier during the upcoming transfer window.

With Michael Carrick’s future yet to be secured at Old Trafford, United boss Jose Mourinho has allegedly outlined Dier as his replacement – and will be willing to pay up to £40 million to sign him.

The 23-year-old signed a new £50,000-a-week deal at White Hart Lane back in September that would keep him at the club until 2021, but Mourinho is happy to offer him a higher yearly wage.

Dier has been at the North London side since signing from Sporting Lisbon back in 2014, and the England international has been utilised as both a midfielder and third centre-back this season.

It is believed that Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino is confident of keeping hold of their key players this summer though – including Dier – as Spurs look to go one step further in the next season.

READ MORE:  Manchester City 4-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Record-breaking hosts unstoppable as Alli's poor form continues

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has insisted that the side’s excellent performances this season count for nothing when it comes to talking about new contracts.

The North London side are set to narrowly miss out on the Premier League title – despite not losing a game at home so far this season – but are well placed to finish in second for the first time ever.

Yet Levy, speaking at a Tottenham Hotspur Supporter’s Trust meeting earlier in the week, said that there will be no negotiations to increase wages.

The Evening Standard reports that the meeting minutes said:

“DL said all players were under contracts, contracts they were happy to sign at the time.

“They would be expected to honour those contracts. They wouldn’t have had a reduction if things had gone badly.”

Many of Tottenham’s key players – the likes of Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Kyle Walker, Eric Dier and Toby Alderweireld – have all been linked with moves away from the club in previous weeks.

READ MORE:  Manchester City 4-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Record-breaking hosts unstoppable as Alli's poor form continues

Aside from transfer speculation, the Evening Standard has reported that Tottenham could play their home matches at Wembley for a second season should the new White Hart Lane not be ready.

Sunday’s home clash with Manchester United is the last match to take place at their current ground after 118 years, with the North London side making the short move to Wembley for next season.

Yet reports have now claimed that Spurs may be permitted to stay for another season if the development of the new 62,000 seater stadium doesn’t go as planned.

The new White Hart Lane – situated around the corner from their current ground – will cost around £800 million to build and should be ready to move into for the start of the 2018/19 campaign.

Featured Image: All rights reserved by Indolivescore.

Article Categories:
Tottenham Hotspur · Transfer Round-up

Comments are closed on this article.