Jun 13, 2017
205 Views
Comments Off on Newcastle United round-up: Takeover rumour update; Tammy Abraham to delay decision on future; Brentford’s Jota linked

Newcastle United round-up: Takeover rumour update; Tammy Abraham to delay decision on future; Brentford’s Jota linked

Written by

Newcastle United are coming back into the Premier League on a high and the positivity around the place hasn’t been seen on Tyneside for a long time. Sky Sports broke the news that Chinese investors are interested in a takeover and that Mike Ashley is considering his future at the club. Meanwhile, the Telegraph suggest that a full takeover is unlikely, but the English businessman is open to selling a share of the club to boost spending power.

This is poor timing for a takeover as the club need to be focusing on recruitment. Although they have a good squad that managed to win the Championship, they will need reinforcements if they are to compete in the Premier League. Unlike the majority of promoted clubs, Newcastle won’t be happy with just surviving in the division. That said, if this is done quickly and correctly, it could boost the finances available to Benitez and that would only be a good thing.

READ MORE:  Why Newcastle United are an attractive proposition for potential investors

Meanwhile, Tammy Abraham continues to delay a decision on his future after admitting that he is unsure where he will be playing next season and a resolution is unlikely until after the UEFA European Under-21 Championship. The Chronicle report that Newcastle have agreed on a season-long loan deal with Chelsea, but they are now waiting for a decision from the teenager. When asked about his future, the striker told Sky Sports:

“I haven’t spoken with Chelsea yet. I am focusing on this tournament so the discussions will happen after.

“I’m not too sure (about his future). Hopefully, it will be in the Premier League.”

Sky Sports had previously reported that he was closing in on a move to Newcastle, but the player himself seems to be unsure about a move to the North East. It would be a good signing for the club for a low cost, giving them more money to spend elsewhere. Benitez will want to make several signings and it is important to be prudent in his spending. A couple of loan deals like this one would be ideal and, for that reason, the Magpies will be hoping the striker chooses a move to St James’ Park.

READ MORE:  Why Newcastle United are an attractive proposition for potential investors

Newcastle will be searching home and abroad for targets, with their recruitment policy being less strict than it was during their last spell in the top flight. Sky Sports report that they are one of three Premier League clubs to express an interest in Brentford attacker Jota. The Spaniard only has a year left on his contract and he would be allowed to leave for the top flight if an offer was incoming. The fee being reported is £8 million, which would be a fair price in the modern market.

After a loan spell with Eibar, the Spaniard returned and played superbly during the second half of the Championship season. He was one of the division’s better players and it isn’t a surprise that he is being targeted by Premier League clubs. Last season, he contributed 12 goals and five assists in 27 matches, which is a superb return. It would be a signing designed to add competition to the squad, but he has the potential to be a first-team player in the top flight if managed correctly. Supporters may be underwhelmed by this speculation, but it wouldn’t be the worst move considering the reported price.

READ MORE:  Why Newcastle United are an attractive proposition for potential investors

Featured image: All rights reserved by Peter Newman

Article Categories:
Newcastle United · Transfer Round-up
Jake Jackman

Jake is a student based in the South East. He is a Newcastle fan and has a keen interest in Dutch football. Jake can be found on Twitter here - @jakejackmann.

Comments are closed on this article.