It is more promising news on the Alexis Sanchez front for Manchester City fans today as Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has admitted that he’s ‘not super optimistic’ the Chilean international will sign a new deal at the club.
The 28-year-old Chilean is entering the final year of his contract at the Emirates, and despite being offered a new £300,000-per-week deal, as per French outlet SFR Sport 1, Wenger does not feel hopeful.
Despite the heavy interest from Manchester City so far this summer, it is understood that the Frenchman is still not prepared to sell to rivals, even if it does mean losing him for free next year.
Meanwhile, Celtic coach John Kennedy has conceded that the Scottish champions will need to continue to be patient in their ongoing chase for Manchester City’s young forward Patrick Roberts.
Reports from French news outlet Nice-Matin had claimed that the promising 20-year-old was close to agreeing loan deal with Nice, but the Ligue 1 side have since signed Monaco’s Allan Saint-Maximin.
And this has re-opened the door for Celtic to secure the services of Roberts for another season, following his impressive contribution of 11 goals in 47 matches during their unbeaten campaign last year.
Speaking yesterday, the Daily Mail reports, he said: “We’ve made them aware that Patrick had a fantastic time here and there is a lot of admiration for him from our end. But Manchester City have him under contract and Patrick has to be involved in that decision as well.
“We just have to be patient and see if something materialises, but at the moment nothing is really happening on it.’
Whilst Celtic have kept it no secret that they would love to have Roberts back, reports coming from The Sun earlier this week claimed that Manchester City would prefer him to get some experience elsewhere.
Aside from the ongoing rumour mill, Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has insisted that his side are raring to go ahead of the new season but he shrugged off claims they are favourites to win the title.
Talking in his pre-match press conference, the Spaniard said: “[On being title favourites] Last season we were too and we finished 15 points behind. I was confident then too. We are here to win the games. I am honest in my job and I will do my best. I feel the same pressure. Every game is complicated.
He also defended his summer spending to date: “We had one of the oldest teams in the Premier League so we decided to put energy in the team for the next five, six years.
“We have spent of course, but all the teams have spent. In the market we will see what happens until the end of August.”
City’s Premier League campaign kicks-off with a tough trip to newly-promoted Brighton on Saturday.