In one of the most dramatic turn of events of the summer transfer window so far, Paris Saint-Germain revealed last night that they have agreed terms to sign Brazilian right-back Dani Alves.
The Guardian reports that the 34-year-old has joined the French side on a two-year deal, news that will come as a massive blow for Manchester City after a principle agreement was in place for Alves.
But it was announced yesterday that the Brazilian has snubbed a move to the Premier League after being offered a mammoth £230,000-a-week at PSG – almost double the Citizens’ offer.
And speaking at his unveiling, French outlet L’Equipe report that he said: “I have often said that the Premier League intrigues me a lot and there is a very interesting project there, too. I did speak with City officials.
“I believe in happiness – that’s why I made the decision to come here. If Guardiola feels wronged, I apologise.”
Reports in the Guardian just last month had suggested that Alves – who spent last year on-loan at Champions League finalists Juventus – was verging on a reunion with his former boss Pep Guardiola.
Yet, despite this set-back it is not all doom and gloom for City fans, as the Telegraph have alleged this afternoon that Manchester City and Tottenham have come to a financial agreement for Kyle Walker.
The exclusive report claims that City have met the north London side’s asking price of £50 million, meaning that the formalities can begin ahead of announcing Walker as a Manchester City player.
It is believed that the 27-year-old won’t be reporting to pre-season training at Spurs tomorrow as both sides look to complete a deal as quickly as possible, with a medical set for Friday.
The two Premier League rivals have been locked in talks since early June – as per Sky Sports – with Guardiola unwilling to meet the £50 million price tag, but missing out on Alves has forced a reaction.
The Daily Mail have claimed that Manchester City are now set to go all out on securing the signing of Southampton’s Ryan Bertrand too, submitting an offer of £25 million.
It is understood that, despite Southampton’s desire to keep the 27-year-old at St Mary’s for at least another season, Guardiola is pushing hard to ensure that they don’t miss out on their man this time.
And a formal offer in the region of £25 million is believed to be enough to tempt the Saints to part with Bertrand, who has impressed hugely in the past year on his way to becoming an England international.
Meanwhile, another left-back could be on his way to the Etihad Stadium this summer, as sources close to Sky Sports have claimed this afternoon that Monaco’s Benjamin Mendy is poised to arrive.
The Sun had first reported back in early June that talks were starting to take place ahead of the 22-year-old’s switch to the Premier League, but speculation went quiet as Alves became City’s priority.
However, with the Alves situation wrapped up, it is now thought that the Citizens are close to finalising negotiations for Mendy, with an announcement set to be made by the end of the week.
Featured Image: All rights reserved by Nhan Dinh Bong Da Quyet.