According to reports in The Sun, Fulham wonder-kid Ryan Sessegnon is set to snub a move to the Etihad Stadium in order to sign his first professional contract at Craven Cottage.
The 16-year-old is expected to a sign a long-term contract once he turns 17 after an impressive breakthrough season in the Championship, much to Pep Guardiola’s disappointment.
Playing most of the season as a left-winger for Fulham, Sessegnon became the first player born in the 21st Century to score in the Football League on his way to a six-goal haul this campaign.
If Sessegnon chooses to remain at Fulham, then the professional deal – which could come into place as soon as the middle of May – would see his transfer value rise astronomically in years to come.
With Sessegnon unlikely to be playing for Manchester City next season, one player who will be is captain Vincent Kompany after he has been assured he’s part of the club’s plans next season.
Despite only making four Premier League appearances so far this season after his ongoing injury issues, Guardiola has insisted that the Belgian will remain at the Etihad beyond the end of the year.
Speaking to the Manchester Evening News, the City boss said:
“The good news is that he was able to play 90 minutes in a tough game at Stamford Bridge, and he played at a high, high level. In two or three days he was ready for the next game.”
[Asked whether Kompany will stay] “Yes, he has a contract.”
The 31-year-old made a surprise return to the starting eleven in the 2-1 loss against Chelsea last week and managed the full 90 minutes, impressing and keeping Diego Costa fairly quiet.
Speaking to the Manchester Evening News yesterday, Guardiola also admitted that he no longer has an out-and-out number one goalkeeper after the difficulties with Claudio Bravo this season.
Bravo signed from Barcelona over the summer with the intention of being Manchester City’s main goalkeeper – hence why Joe Hart left for Torino – but it hasn’t gone to plan for the Chilean this year.
Guardiola has now said that the performances of Willy Cabellero has made it hard to pinpoint a definitive number one, saying that he decides on which player to start on a week by week basis.
Talking yesterday, he said: “Every week I will decide who will be in goal for each game.
“Last week I decided for Claudio, and for this Saturday I will also decide. It matters on whether the opponent does a lot of high pressing or not, the way the opponents play as well, and what I see in the training sessions.”
Caballero – whose contract runs out at the end of the season – has made eleven appearances up to now (including a recent run of eight in a row) whilst Bravo has featured 20 times and was given the nod during the 3-1 victory over Hull last week; although he was at fault for the visitor’s consolation.
Featured Image: All rights reserved by Serg Holohok.