Feb 6, 2017
118 Views
Comments Off on Manchester City Round-Up: £55million move for Frenchman; club speak out over Aguero future; Guardiola link to help Carvalho bid

Manchester City Round-Up: £55million move for Frenchman; club speak out over Aguero future; Guardiola link to help Carvalho bid

Written by

According to reports in the Daily Mirror, Manchester City are set to line up a summer move for Athletic Bilbao defender Aymeric Laporte as Pep Guardiola looks to strengthen his defence.

 

Despite Laporte signing a new four-year deal with Bilbao last year, Guardiola believes that he could meet the 22-year-old’s buy-out clause of £55 million and tempt him into a move to the Etihad.

This comes a month after Laporte said that he would be willing to “think about offers” if the right team came along – something that Guardiola is looking to take advantage of.

It is believed that City’s Spanish boss is looking for a long-term partner for John Stones, who arrived at the Etihad for £50 million over the previous summer transfer window.

More good news for Manchester City fans comes in the form that Sergio Aguero, whose future has been the point of speculation since the arrival of Gabriel Jesus, will remain at the club this summer.

READ MORE:  The development of Leroy Sane under Pep Guardiola at Manchester City

 

Reports in the Manchester Evening News have said that City have made it clear that the Argentinian striker is going nowhere once the season ends, despite the star being demoted to the substitutes bench once again for City’s 2-1 win over Swansea on Sunday.

Speaking to the MEN, an unnamed source close to the club said:

“There is no vagueness about our position. We want Sergio to stay.

“Pep has repeatedly said he is an important player for us, and if Sergio is saying it is down to the club, well the club really wants him to stay.

“No-one here wants him to leave, and Pep has been explicit about that.”

Aguero came off the bench with ten minutes to go on Sunday, and helped his side secure a late victory that sees them climb up to third in the Premier League table.

Guardiola could certainly be set for a busy summer of movement once the current Premier League season ends, as Spanish output AS reports that he’s keen to bring in Sporting Lisbon midfielder William Carvalho.

READ MORE:  Three talking points as table-topping Manchester City outclassed Burnley

 

The 24-year-old midfielder has allegedly just switched his agency from Jorge Mendes to Media Base Sports – who are run by Pep Guardiola’s brother, Pere.

The report claims that Real Madrid are the front-runners to sign the Portuguese midfielder, who was part of Portugal’s Euro 2016 winning side; but the link with Guardiola could tempt him to City.

Featured Image: All rights reserved by Chao1989.

Article Categories:
Manchester City · Transfer Round-up

Comments are closed on this article.