Sep 1, 2017
128 Views

Manchester City round-up: City ‘furious’ as Sanchez bid fails; Dortmund sign teenager; Bony leaves

Written by

It is the day after the night before as far as Manchester City supporters are concerned today, with the aftermath of their failed attempt to sign Alexis Sanchez not a very pretty sight in the media.

The Daily Mail understand that City are ‘furious’ with the way things went down on transfer deadline day, with the Blues’ proposed £60 million move for the Chilean collapsing at the last minute.

It is thought that a principle agreement was in place between the two Premier League sides but Arsene Wenger’s failure to find a suitable replacement in time meant that a move couldn’t be done.

Even more frustrating for City is that Arsenal’s seemingly had a £92 million offer for Monaco winger Thomas Lemar accepted – and then rebuffed – and at the end of the day the Gunners left it too late.

The report entails that a source close to both clubs labelled the whole thing ‘shambolic’, with Arsenal giving next-to-no communication as the afternoon went on, and City are not impressed.

READ MORE:  Arsenal round-up: Napoli forward linked; Wenger on Wilshere; Teenager targeted

Despite having no incomings on transfer deadline day, there were a number of players leaving the Etihad including the exit of highly-rated teenager Jadon Sancho to German side Borussia Dortmund.

The 17-year-old had been targeted by a host of rival Premier League sides over the course of the summer but, with minutes to go until the Bundesliga deadline, Sancho announced an £8 million Dortmund deal.

A statement relayed by the Manchester Evening News said:

“It’s been an eventful two and a half years with many special moments It was a difficult decision, but the time is right for a new challenge where I can start to fulfil my potential.

“I want to thank everyone at Manchester City, the coaches and staff that have contributed to my development, my teammates and of course the awesome Manchester City fans who have always supported me. I move with great memories.”

And he wasn’t the only one who found a new club on Thursday evening, with out-of-favour striker Wilfried Bony returning to former side Swansea City after an arduous two-year spell in Manchester.

READ MORE:  Manchester City round-up: French club's Sanchez advantage; Gundogan injury update; Guardiola on Crystal Palace

The Ivorian will re-join the Swans on a two-year deal – with an additional option for a third should the Welsh side wish to activate it – and Sky Sports believe that a fee of £12 million has been agreed.

Talking to Swansea’s official website, Bony said:

“I am still at school. I always want to improve, and I have a lot to show. I have a very good feeling, especially for myself, the fans and my family.

“I need to be on the pitch playing, so when I heard Swansea wanted me back I was very excited.”

It didn’t quite click for Bony since moving to Manchester for £28million two years ago, rarely receiving first-team opportunities, and he managed just 6 goals in 36 Premier League appearances.

Article Categories:
Manchester City · Transfer Round-up